Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Metal or moulded studs?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:42 pm 

Need to order some football/rugby boots for DS. He plays once/twice a week, always on grass, only casual school club type stuff. He says he wants metal studs but DH says he should have the moulded ones (but can't explain why :roll: ) Any idea what the difference is and which would be best for DS's use?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:01 pm 

My ds's school say the all metal ones for rugby. They don't seem so fussy about football. I hate having to buy either, I don't know enough about the difference.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:09 pm 

Hi there, Personally I'd go for screw in studs for several reasons, firstly different studs can be used depending upon the ground conditions, and football studs are actually quite different to rugby ones. Secondly a lot of moulded studs are now the 'blade' type studs which can do a lot more damage to an opponent than the usual round ones. Finally, there is a school of thought that the blade ones are 'less forgiving' on the wearer by having a quicker and firmer grip. This has been cited as a possible reason why foot injuries, like a broken metatarsal seem to have become more prevalent.

Hope this Helps.

Edit: rugby studs should have no sharp edges or corners.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:57 pm 

We have always gone for metal and changed studs accordingly for football or rugby. Just have to remember to screw them tighter occasionally.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:03 pm 

Moulded studs are for hard grounds (ie. summer) and alluminium studs are for wet/soft grounds which is when the rugby season is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:28 pm 

Thanks all for your feedback. We've gone for metal studs. DS is happy and DH somehow under the impression they were all his idea :roll:

Interesting to hear about the potential injury side of things - and thanks for the reminder to keep them screwed in. Netball was never this complicated :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:08 pm 

Don't try them on, because your pfb's shoes now fit you own big feet, and walk around a parquet floor.

Don't ask how I know that. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:26 am 

Ds1 still has a large open gash down his calf caused by somebody else's metal studs at rugby last Saturday :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:29 am 

um wrote:
Ds1 still has a large open gash down his calf caused by somebody else's metal studs at rugby last Saturday :(

That's awful, it shouldn't happen.. They are supposed to be checked by referee before commencement of game

A little about the basic requirements here:

http://www.rfu.com/takingpart/playerhealth/faqs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:39 am 

silverysea wrote:
Don't try them on, because your pfb's shoes now fit you own big feet, and walk around a parquet floor.

Don't ask how I know that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Wouldn't you know, this is the first pair I've ordered in exactly my size! Thankfully we have carpet...

Hope the parquet survived???