Homework - How much ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ginx

Re: Homework - How much ?

Post by ginx »

I'm feeling smug. :D But should remember pride comes before a fall and doubtless dd2 will soon come home with piles of homework like everyone else. Making a plant cell model sounds miserable. So does a 3d contour map for geography. We would end up doing the whole lot at the weekend. And notice that would be "we", she would be unable to do it on her own. 10 pieces. Misery.

Feel for you and your dd, Tinkers.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Some schools are mad. I'd tell them to lump their silly homework. The time consuming model making will not make one jot of difference to her results - in fact it might drag them down as it takes away time from more valuable activities. I've heard those two particularly terrible pieces of homework on here before - where do they drag them up from?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Sometimes I think it's the sort of hwk that teachers with no kids set because they mistakenly believe that it is fun (I have been guilty of this :oops: ).
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

KS10 wrote:I would write to the HoY, Tinkers. The homework timetable exists for a reason. They can't do this!

Annoyed on your daughter's behalf.
Form tutor away this week and hoy is acting as their tutor. DD is going to tell her herself tomorrow. Have offered to email her instead or as well as, but DD is happy to talk to her. (Tbh I'm sort of pleased that she wants to do is herself. )

I know another mum feels the same too.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

ginx wrote:I'm feeling smug. :D But should remember pride comes before a fall and doubtless dd2 will soon come home with piles of homework like everyone else.
I bet she still has time to read though doesn't she? If she's using the time for that then it's still useful. The only reading ds is doing is the research for all the projects - and now school have sent home a suggested list of books they should read this year. Fortunately he's already read quite a few of them, so he can probably get away with not doing too much more, because he simply doesn't have time. But I'd like him to be in the habit of reading for pleasure, which just isn't happening at the moment.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Okanagan, dd 2 loves reading. She still 're-reads favourites, and like your ds has read many books on the list, but is devouring new books by authors I have never heard of. I am borrowing them from the library as there are hundreds.

She couldn't cope with much more homework as she gets tired. In bed by 830 but reads till at least 9. Well, when she has finished playing on the computer. I can't believe she is going to bed so early. What time does your ds go to bed, with sports commitments and so much homework?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Rarely before 10 :(
KS10

Post by KS10 »

My DS in Year 10 goes to bed at that time, Okanagan.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Okanagan wrote:We (by which I mean ds, with some help from me if it's a layout he's not familiar with creating) do all those on the computer, so anything is editable without having to start again - and definitely no colouring in! So far no subjects except art have expected him to actually produce all the design work by hand.
Well that was tempting fate wasn't it!? Today he's come home with the dreaded "draw a picture and colour it in" (and label at least 12 items in the picture) - for French. What on earth is added to the value by colouring in?

And another leaflet to create, this time for music, plus a costume to design for the performance of a song.

Please, can we just have a good old fashioned essay one day, rather than all these timeconsuming creative pieces?
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

If my DD gets a GS place the homework is a worrying factor. She is a perfectionist and likes to make sure her homework is checked and perfect. Half of our weekend is already taken up with her year 6 homework. Last weekend we had 5 sheets of maths, a longish comprehension, and spellings. Which I think is quite a lot for primary school. At least we are not prepping for the 11 plus in addition anymore. I am interested to hear from others that some of it is down to the child. I know that some of my DD's class mates don't take as long over their H/w as DD does, but they don't do so well. I worry that DD will burnout if she tries to perfect an hour and a halls worth of h/w a day.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now