Homework - How much ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Reading Mum

Re: Homework - How much ?

Post by Reading Mum »

Okanagan wrote:I just wish there wasn't quite so much design a poster/presentation/leaflet/mock newspaper front page/worksheet type work for the subjects where that actual design work isn't really part of the core learning. Without that it wouldn't take half as long.
I hate these ones too. DD is quite likely to decide part way through that 'it has gone all wrong' and want to start again. It drives me batty. The fact finding bit is fine but I don't see the value added by colouring in.
Last edited by Reading Mum on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

With a bit of luck it will tail off once Open Evening has been and gone.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Reading Mum wrote:I hate these ones too. DD is quite likely to decide part way through that 'it has gone all wrong' and want to start again. It drives me batty. The fact finding bit is fine but I don't see the value added by colouring in.
We (by which I mean ds, with some help from me if it's a layout he's not familiar with creating) do all those on the computer, so anything is editable without having to start again - and definitely no colouring in! So far no subjects except art have expected him to actually produce all the design work by hand.
mad?

Post by mad? »

DD1 hates art, design etc, when she was in Y7 and 8 she paid her younger sister to do all the colouring/cutting/sticking etc for these homeworks. When DD2 joined Y7 she tried to pay DD1 to do her maths homework (DD1's favourite) and was most aggrieved on being told firmly by me 'NO'.
mad?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Okanagan wrote:
Reading Mum wrote:I hate these ones too. DD is quite likely to decide part way through that 'it has gone all wrong' and want to start again. It drives me batty. The fact finding bit is fine but I don't see the value added by colouring in.
We (by which I mean ds, with some help from me if it's a layout he's not familiar with creating) do all those on the computer, so anything is editable without having to start again - and definitely no colouring in! So far no subjects except art have expected him to actually produce all the design work by hand.
Ditto, though i now have zip to do with it, except fund the endless printer cartridges and yell at him when i see a pile of full colour duds on the floor. Make sure proof reading on screen is included in your layout lessons, i tried/ failed and set the printer default to draft black and white, which i then forget about when i am doing something for myself!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Not as much as I expected. Maybe one hour at most per night.
erisindevon

Post by erisindevon »

I didn't think dd was getting much homework, but the perception of other parents is that their daughters are doing loads, so either dd is missing something, or she's very quick! Definitely no more than 3-4 hours a week. That said, they have just been put in sets for maths, and this week's homework was complex and substantial. She found it tough, and I think was grateful to have parents who could explain how to tackle the problems (rather than considering us to be a nagging nuisance...). If this is a sign of things to come as they get more settled, it's going to be a heavy year.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Aargh I was tempting fate by writing about it. Tonight we have a new variant - design a comic strip!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

So far hw has been reasonable and about what I expected.
This week has gone completely nuts.

She is supposed to get 2 or 3 subjects a night according to the timetable that seems to be ignored by the teachers. Wasn't too much of an issue up until now.

Yesterday and today she got hw in every subject, that's 10 pieces. None have been quick to do and the making of a plant cell model will be ages. As will the 3D contour map for geography.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I would write to the HoY, Tinkers. The homework timetable exists for a reason. They can't do this!

Annoyed on your daughter's behalf.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now