Grossly immature Year 7

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
RedVelvet

Re: Grossly immature Year 7

Post by RedVelvet »

My husband went to the new parents evening mid-way through our son being in Yr 7. He said the only real complaints parents had was how much stuff their boys had lost! Glad to find out it wasn't just us!

I'm all in favour of natural consequences and I now don't check timetables/kit etc. if he gets detention for forgetting his homework, so be it. Any lost kit means an email to his form tutor to ask the whole class if they have his stuff, then replacements from the school secondhand shop.

Now in yr8 and things have approved dramatically this year. :D
Hera

Post by Hera »

Tixylixy wrote:Are any other parents also having to endure the nightmare of having a child who has repeatedly lost his equipment, p.e kit and books? If that was the only problem, I probably wouldn't feel as exasperated but on top of all of this, he has been in trouble with his HOY for having altercations with other boys, arriving late for lessons, making irritating noises during lessons.

His father and I spent 8 months warning him about the level of behaviour that would be expected from secondary school but all the advice fell on deaf ears. He has no organisational skills and we therefore have to ensure that he brings the correct books and materials for his subjects.
I could have written this, infact double checked the user name in case I had and forgotton, down to the call from HOY and the months of warning that he needed to behave in secondary school... You are not alone!
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Hera wrote:
Tixylixy wrote:Are any other parents also having to endure the nightmare of having a child who has repeatedly lost his equipment, p.e kit and books? If that was the only problem, I probably wouldn't feel as exasperated but on top of all of this, he has been in trouble with his HOY for having altercations with other boys, arriving late for lessons, making irritating noises during lessons.

His father and I spent 8 months warning him about the level of behaviour that would be expected from secondary school but all the advice fell on deaf ears. He has no organisational skills and we therefore have to ensure that he brings the correct books and materials for his subjects.
I could have written this, infact double checked the user name in case I had and forgotton, down to the call from HOY and the months of warning that he needed to behave in secondary school... You are not alone!
+1

Now inYr9 and much improved, although a long way to go yet :roll:
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

DC17C wrote:I have had to do much the same regarding tranlating the timetable into something that can be understood quickly and have a laminated copy on the kitchen wall and one on DS's desk in his bedroom and also stuck in his planner as his handwritten one was barely legible. That seems to be helping.

We have only lost 1 rugby sock so far - locker key is kept in his wallet which has a key ring in it. He seems to have perfected the art of minimal home work and leaving it to the last minute :roll:

......I spoke too soon - wallet has disappeared from DS's pocket today!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

DC17C wrote:
DC17C wrote:I have had to do much the same regarding tranlating the timetable into something that can be understood quickly and have a laminated copy on the kitchen wall and one on DS's desk in his bedroom and also stuck in his planner as his handwritten one was barely legible. That seems to be helping.

We have only lost 1 rugby sock so far - locker key is kept in his wallet which has a key ring in it. He seems to have perfected the art of minimal home work and leaving it to the last minute :roll:

......I spoke too soon - wallet has disappeared from DS's pocket today!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
You so jinxed your ds!

Don't panic too soon, 2 weeks after ds lost his wallet including bus pass last year, the application for a new pass was in the post, with £10 cheque, the wallet was bought, the pocket money was docked....when there it turned up, lodged behing the snooker table and the wall in the play room! He had obviously flung his blazer on the table.

His winter coat broke new records, lost February, teacher and matron involved in thorough search as was second coat lost...it turned up...September at school, given to new teacher as it was named.

There really is no hope...even with a laminater at your disposal.
Flanker3105

Post by Flanker3105 »

So far my son in year 9 has lost a towel and an expensive pair of compression leggings (for under rugby shorts) this term. I have had to resort to checking bag as he gets home and making him responsible for recovery and replacement cost.

I'm told their brains are re-wiring. I think I will re-wire his X-box.
ginx

Post by ginx »

:lol: :lol: :lol: love the comment about the x-box.

Maybe girls are more organised. Except when it comes to doing homework. :roll:

Flanker3105, perhaps you could look at our iPad? :lol:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Maybe girls are more organised. Except when it comes to doing homework. :roll:

Not in this household, ginx, although there has been an improvement.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Buggery buggery bugger, flanker you reminded me, my ds' brand new thermal short skins are not named, he has rugby today, and they are not in school tomorrow. :( my only hope is it does not rain, so not muddy, and the stinky minger just comes home with them on under his trousers! Sigh!
ginx

Post by ginx »

Maybe all your sons spend hours diligently doing their homework?

My year 7 dd2 spends minutes. And only about twenty in total on all three subjects. I hope one of her teachers reads this and realises who she is, cannot be long until a detention. :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now