Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:35 pm 

Why has this hideous craze taken hold? Droopy trousers or holey tights are one thing, but those earrings. :roll: At the (grave) risk of sounding like my mother, why would you do that to yourself? Saw a beautiful girl crossing the road today, then noticed she had 3cm holes in her ears! Is it just me who thinks they might just regret this a teensy bit? Or am I just getting old?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:59 pm 

My husband is a reconstructive surgeon. The NHS will NOT repair these holes- in these parts anyway- so when the children eventually grow up, think about attending job interviews with bloomin great ugly holes in their earlobes and visit their GP's for advice on reconstruction, their only option is private plastic surgery. Earlobes often develop keloid ( lumpy and disfiguring ) scarring which cannot be resolved by surgery alone. They will also need a dose of radiotherapy to stop the keloid scars recurring. An expensive and tedious process, the youth of Essex have paid towards a few holidays for us !

If any of your DC's are even thinking about tunnels ( as they are known in the trade ) just say NO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:17 pm 

I've never seen this. I had to google it. I must be blind! I must say, I felt rather ill when I saw some of the pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 pm 

What worries me slightly is that the GS DS1 and DD attend specifically ban the "paraphernalia" required to obtain this effect in their uniform regulations, whereas the comp where DD spent last year didn't even seem to have noticed their existence.

DS1 tells me that this is because this is a particularly middle-class form of self-mutilation :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:03 am 

How hideous! I agree, as one who has never felt the need to acquire even the tiniest of holes, I am rather strict on the earring fashion trends. 13yo dd came home with those hideous hoops last week, which make for an 'auditioning for Eastenders' look so they were promptly side-lined. And she has informed me that once she is of age, (I think she means 14 :lol: ) she will get as many holes as she likes, because it is fashion, and they are her ears to do as she pleases! Let's hope this is one phase of interest that passes quick before she spots this 'tunnel' trend :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:12 am 

Not just me then, phew. Let's hope it goes out of fashion soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:37 am 

Where I come from, only very old people have these giant holes in their ears. I cannot believe this is a fashion now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:53 pm 

They're called stretchers aren't they?

I asked a young (20/21 - so very young, to me :lol: :lol: ) lad about his a while ago, and what about the hole, he assured me it would close up again when taken out :roll:

Which is a thought really, at what point do the holes become too big that they won't voluntarily close up again?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:23 pm 

They're horrid. My dd1 also confirmed they are called stretchers.

At times I am glad she is squeamish. She's too scared to have her ears pierced, let alone "stretched". Makes me feel ill to think about how ears are "stretched". Yuck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:02 pm 

Indeed! Have managed to dissuade dd from ear piercing so far on the basis I had mine done at 13, never really got on with it, allergic to everything! Now the "holes" are closed but the marks are still there, how much worse if it was a 2cm hole! Eew!