Free Schools in Hammersmith and Fulham

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
thejonesboy

Free Schools in Hammersmith and Fulham

Post by thejonesboy »

Bit of a hot topic at the moment. Despite all the hoo-ha about Free schools at the moment, I'm keen for my DS to apply for one one but worried about oversubscription/getting in/general growing obsession with secondary education! I'm not religious which discounts half the schools in the borough but don't want to send him on a trek to school. Any thoughts on Hammersmith and Fulham free schools, any more coming???? DS is in year 4 but thought I'd do my homework.
TiffinGirls

Re: Free Schools in Hammersmith and Fulham

Post by TiffinGirls »

I have heard mixed reports of West London free so I would certainly not restrict your potential choices to free schools only. Apart from the CofE boys in Fulham, I am not aware of any more. Have you thought about contacting the local LEA about potential new schools - they seem to be supportive of them?

I would download this years secondary admission brochure and have a good look at all the schools. Perhaps visit next September, they have vastly improved in the last few years. Depending where you live, if your son is good at Art or Music he might want to try for Holland Park, Chelsea Academy etc. I think Kensington Aldridge (Latimer Road tube) opening in September this year will admit some from LBHF - at least in the first couple of years.
thejonesboy

Re: Free Schools in Hammersmith and Fulham

Post by thejonesboy »

Hi Tiffingirls,

Thanks everso for information. Time just about on my side. Schools are definitely on the up in the borough, my major concern is getting into my first choice. Have done some digging and there is a new school looking to set up in LBHF with a tech/computing focus, which would totally suit my son and would work timing wise...but again, where will he get into?

Thanks again for advice
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now