State Grammar School asking for Funds

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pheasantchick

Re: State Grammar School asking for Funds

Post by pheasantchick »

£40 a month sounds a lot to me. I think we were asked for an annual donation (£60?) in one school - can't remember the other.
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Don't know about Townley but the BGS school fund is £20 per year (per child I think), but you can pay £100 up front for the whole of their time at the school!
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

aliportico wrote:£200 pa at Kendrick (Reading). I don't.
Hiya Aliportico, is this figure per child or per family do you know? Does the school provide any evidence / say what the money goes towards? Just curious... Might have to start saving... Thank you :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Ms K does mention what it goes to. Things like the minibus etc, and it's a suggested amount. I believe yup have the option to pay monthly or yearly as well.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I've just had a letter for the School Subscription Fund -£40 per year per student, or £50 if your son does sport and/or you want to contribute to the hardship fund. The letter stresses the money is voluntary, and goes towards extra curriculum activities, sports...etc.

The school is an over-subscribed, super selective school in leafy Kent, so probably has a wealthier parent population than other schools. Considering the demands made by other schools mentioned above, £40 per year sounds reasonable.
MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

If I'm not mistaken I think your son's at the school we've listed first on our CAF, pheasantchick. After reading this thread I was worried about how much they were going to ask for (assuming we get there of course) so your post is very reassuring!!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

pheasantchick wrote:I've just had a letter for the School Subscription Fund -£40 per year per student, or £50 if your son does sport and/or you want to contribute to the hardship fund. The letter stresses the money is voluntary, and goes towards extra curriculum activities, sports...etc.

The school is an over-subscribed, super selective school in leafy Kent, so probably has a wealthier parent population than other schools. Considering the demands made by other schools mentioned above, £40 per year sounds reasonable.

That is a very reasonable request.

Ours want £100 extra because he plays rugby! Bussing them hundreds of miles about to play indies and supersrlectives and providing post match meals, apparently being essential elements of "the spirit of the sport" This is more than the combined subs for both kids at the local rugby club by the way, that also provides post match meals!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Our GS asked for £15 a month by direct debit last year, our son's first year, (it was voluntary but it is made very clear that without it, certain activites/work in school can't go ahead.) Having added up how much we end up sending into primary for various trips etc, at least this seemed a more upfront way of asking (without the agony of actually having to attend the cake sale for this and that!!)

The amount has now gone up to £30 a month (you can pay less or not at all) and parents with more than one child, aren't asked to contribute double/triple etc, although some do. The reality is, even the state comprehensive round here asks for an amount per child per direct debit (although I believe it is around the £10-£15 a month and a lot of parents don't pay)
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Our primary school don't ask for any money other than contributions towards school trips and the odd pound (literally) for D&T.

However, there is a huge caveat to that which is that we have fund raising activities all the time. If I add up what I spend at the summer and Christmas fairs plus all the various other fundraising activities, it's probably in the region of £100 a year, so £50 per child.

I would far rather just pay the amount without having to attend all the activities. It would also save me from the endless amount of tut that my children buy at the fairs! :lol: :lol:
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

School has an Annual Fund which we are asked to consider donating to. I have never been openly asked for money for it or felt pressured into donating. It is mainly for new facilities and equipment.