State Grammar School asking for Funds

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: State Grammar School asking for Funds

Post by Guest55 »

We have had threads like this in the past where the amount asked for was even more than QEB.

Personally I don't agree with giving as we are already paying through our taxes. If there is a specific project then I'd rather give to that so I know where the money is going.

I do help with events and attend concerts etc.

I think we should name and shame schools that write personally - it's offensive!
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Wow, £60pm!!!! :shock:

My friend's ds has just started at Tiffin sixth form and she was shocked at their request for £44pm - I must tell her that another school is even worse. :D
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

Some of these figures seem shocking.

Strangely dd's comp asks for £10 per month, but not pushy. Whilst ds's grammar asks for £25 a year (not pushy either). Bit of a contrast!
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

future wrote:QEB suggested £60 a month when our DS started there 7 years ago. After ignoring first letter, got a personal letter from the head saying I was one of a few who hadn't committed yet. Felt like some sort of blackmail. Paid first 2 years and then stopped standing order. Can offset against self assessment as a gift to reduce tax liability.
Yes like Future we have been paying £60 per month since Year 7 because we felt pressured into it. If any QEB parents were to stop paying after a while due to financial circumstances, will QEB still chase parents for payment?

Harlequin
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

These aren't mandatory payments. Your child will not be expelled because you cannot/will not pay.

Please don't feel obliged to pay this money, it's a ridiculous amount.you do not HAVE to pay it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

One of ours suggests, on a dark corner of their website, that we might like to donate £10/month and gift aid it.

The other produced a lovely glossy leaflet which was mailed first class to all parents explaining how strapped for cash they were and suggesting we might like to cough up. This one also has a rather more prominent area on the website devoted to wills, direct debits and the like.

Not sure what to think really. I suppose you can't blame them.
akua26

Post by akua26 »

Have been reading all the post and wanted to ask does any one know how much Townley grammar in Bexley ask parents to contribute per month?

Have my DD bent on going to that school
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Tiffin asked us for £44 per month; Tiffin Girls for £30. I personally am happy to pay it, even though it's a considerable outlay from my meagre earnings. Both children were at a partially voluntary-aided Church of England primary school where we were all expected to make a termly contribution towards upkeep of the buildings etc so I am used to it. I work in a primary school and know how tight budgets are so I don't begrudge it one bit.
future

Post by future »

tbh we didn't begrudge the £60 to QE - just the way the 'indirect' pressure that was applied. You could see the money went to good cause - new pool, hall etc
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Exactly, no one minds if you are presented with tangible evidence of spending, it is the vaguery and demanding nature of broad spread direct debits sent directly to your e mail repetitively if not set up, that is objectionable. A letter saying 'we need the georgian hall window repaired, £10 per family should cover the costs, f you feel able please donate to our account number xxxxx or send child in with envelope' or similar, would be met far more favourably. I would be happy even if they gave us a report every month about what they needed, the option of direct debit could still be there of course, but they would probably get less money for certain requests, that directly effect less children, eg. We need a new sofa in the sixth form lounge would get less response than we need new library books.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now