iPad in Secondary school

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: iPad in Secondary school

Post by scary mum »

I should also have said that our Bucks GS has been raising money to purchase iPads for use in schools. I don't know how many they have, but they clearly aren't going down the "you have to buy one" route.
scary mum
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

The whole thing sounds like a complete nightmare to me. In addition to the considerable cost, what happens if they break or lose it in the first week? Knowing my own son and the way he carelessly chucks his school bag around and is always forgetting things, that's exactly what would happen. Would parents be expected to fork out for a replacement again and again? And as others have said, even more worrying, is the fact that any school which was known to have this policy would make all of its pupils prime targets for getting mugged on the walk to and from school surely? :(

My company provides us with laptops for working away from the office. We're not 11 year old kids though. We're adult professionals who don't tend to stop off on the way home from work for a kick-about in the park using our laptop bag as a goalpost! And even so, we're still given instructions and training about looking after it and personal security etc.

I do accept the fact that we live in the 21st century and technology is an important part of how we live and work these days (..he writes on an internet forum :wink: ). And I think its reasonable to assume that the majority of families these days will have some sort of computer at home. So on that basis, would it not be better for teachers to email homework, links and other stuff to a pupils email address rather than have them carry round expensive hardware to and from school every day?
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I work in a comp and we have sets of iPads for use in lessons which we book out for our lessons.
I teach Chemistry, so love them :-) they can record their expts and instead of the old fashioned write up, they have an interactive recording. So much better for revision!

I also use them for peer teaching, so I give each small group a syllabus statement to research and teach in a later lesson.

I'd never want or expect a student to bring expensive, desirable electronic equipment to school. Surely on the journey to or from that would be asking for trouble!

Our lovely PTA raised money for our iPads :-)
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

They'd get two words from me...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The other aspect is that I assumed that they wouldn't be allowed to load games etc on to them otherwise they would be looking at Facebook etc during lessons, but actually, as a reward I understand they are allowed time playing games on them at school (this is one particular boys' GS in Bucks) :shock: :shock:
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Apparently they can block games for certain time slots, both at school and at home. However one dad i know who's son is on the scheme said his boy does spend ages pretending he is working, but really gaming, wheras a pen and paper at the kitchen table can be monitored far easier, without actually having to hover over them.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

What an outrageous request! Certainly wouldn't get a look in here. We don't even have one ourselves, in fact DH is such an anti-apple man, he got himself a Samsung last year. Fraction of the price, and no complaints so far!
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

And the recommendation is not more than 2hours screen time per day for kids. Most clock up far more than this - and this just encourages it!!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Exactly what we said, and ditto we have no ipads here. BUT. The school has spent a fortune updating their network to accomodate the new ipad system, and the lessons will be taught using them, particulatly maths, which allows each boy to progress at their own pace and catch up at home if necessary. So there is no way out for us.
Questions were raised about further blurring of the lines between home and school, as sometimes the catch up will be as well as homework etc, and obviously they dont want half the class playing catch up every night (classes not streamed in yr 7/8).
The use of my maths etc in class, also produces spread sheets on individual achievements, problem areas etc for the teacher, so children theoretically get the help they need quicker and easier, even if they are too shy to adk. We shall see..my mind remains open, i will update you all after a term.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

southbucks3 wrote:Exactly what we said, and ditto we have no ipads here. BUT. The school has spent a fortune updating their network to accomodate the new ipad system, and the lessons will be taught using them, particulatly maths, which allows each boy to progress at their own pace and catch up at home if necessary. So there is no way out for us.
Questions were raised about further blurring of the lines between home and school, as sometimes the catch up will be as well as homework etc, and obviously they dont want half the class playing catch up every night (classes not streamed in yr 7/8).
The use of my maths etc in class, also produces spread sheets on individual achievements, problem areas etc for the teacher, so children theoretically get the help they need quicker and easier, even if they are too shy to adk. We shall see..my mind remains open, i will update you all after a term.
Did the school comment on the potential personal security issues involved with children carrying expensive electronic devices to and from school? Is this something they'd considered? You said the Ipads were insured. Do they just replace multiple times any that get lost or broken free of charge or is there any excess?