iPad in Secondary school

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ccl

Re: iPad in Secondary school

Post by ccl »

Regarding discussions with other parents:

There was an info meeting at school where the headmaster gave a talk and some representative from the company providing the ipads. The strange thing was that NO questions were allowed to be asked after or during the presentation. If anyone had any questions they had to be asked in private to the head/teachers after the talk. Obviously, no discussion could be generated (which I would have hoped for). We pretty much came to the meeting hoping to politely raise a few concerns. They really wanted to avoid any questions that could make other parents ask more questions.

Unfortunately, at my son's school we don't know more than one or two parents.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

ccl - seriously, is this a state or independent gs? I can't believe a state school would be allowed to get away with this?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:ccl - seriously, is this a state or independent gs? I can't believe a state school would be allowed to get away with this?
Several in Buckinghamshire are doing this (read the whole thread). I don't agree with it and am glad that our school has chosen to fund them (with a grant) so that they are available in lessons if needed/justified.
scary mum
ccl

Post by ccl »

yes, it's a state grammar school.

Just read through the insurance info from the company; it will not be covered due to eg loss on bus. Not even covered if stolen on the bus unless taken by actual or threatened force. He'd better get beaten up if someone snatches it from him....
He has already forgotten 2 violins, 2 lunch boxes on the bus.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

My son has had his school iPad for a few months now, and some test results this half term have sadly worsened, with teachers on his report even suggesting he revert to revising on paper. He has obviously taken this on board with a sense if humour, as he just sent me this you tube clip on Facebook.

If you have not seen it watch it now, it is truly brilliant:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KJXOexeMzw ... JXOexeMzwo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Excellent! :lol: :lol:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

We have discovered the real reason for the introduction of ipads in boys grammar schools :idea:

Dh borrowed son number ones iPad last night to link up to a you tube work out on his turbo trainer. Son number one forgot to turn off one of the latest social networking sites, so it was still on in the background. With school disco imminent dh finally gave up trying to use the iPad as he was fed up with being interrupted by beeping and split screens as girls hasslled son number one. :lol:

Apparently he has heard little or nothing from most of them since the last disco, but now they are all suddenly very chatty. :lol: My shy, socially immature, very annoying, but lovely looking young man has very sweetly requested a pre disco trip to the barbers! I am proud to have apparently produced much sought after arm candy. :shock:

Well worth the £20 a month I am sure...obviously his phone and iPod did not have a big enough screen to properly check out these 13 year old beauties!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

SB3 you'd should be proud - particularly as the two boys schools have only 1 girls school to compete for! We are still waiting to gear about the "affordable" lease to buy scheme Billy's are introducing for the Chrome Books - ds is still wondering if he could have got over his desire for mixed sex and performing arts in order to have an iPad :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now