Londoners are unique... :lol:
future

Re: Educating Yorkshire - Musharaf

Post by future »

Where can I watch on catch up? BBC?
Amber

Post by Amber »

future wrote:Where can I watch on catch up? BBC?
Channel 4 - 4oD (4 on demand).
doodles

Post by doodles »

Fantastic programme - it's not often that TV reduces me to having "a moment".

The teacher involved (Mr Burn?) was interviewed on Radio 4 this morning and seemed a really delightful young man.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Not forgetting Hannah checking in at the last moment and getting 9 A to C´s. What an amazing school with fab teachers. All those Year 11 boys crying during the speech did it for me. We were all in tears. Would have loved to have seen some level of thanks from his parents though? DG
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I am clearly missing something but to me this is exactly the type of school I have spent many many years and a lot of money and effort ensuring my children avoid.

If those on this forum think its great the, with respect, why is anyone bothered about the 11+? Schools like this one are 2 a penny and should be very very easy to get into.

I still think there were some great individuals there so don't all shoot at once but the school was a horrendous place for a child to spend even 5 minutes.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

It was interesting watching it and then contrast with Harrow, a very British school.

I thought they offered him a bit more help because of the TV program, surely if he had been in the school for 5 years he should have been offered a bit more help earlier.
Impossible is Nothing.
Amber

Post by Amber »

magwich2 wrote:I am clearly missing something but to me this is exactly the type of school I have spent many many years and a lot of money and effort ensuring my children avoid.

If those on this forum think its great the, with respect, why is anyone bothered about the 11+? Schools like this one are 2 a penny and should be very very easy to get into.

I still think there were some great individuals there so don't all shoot at once but the school was a horrendous place for a child to spend even 5 minutes.
I am not going to fall into the obvious trap of engaging too much with this, but would just like to mention that some children find other types of school, including very well thought of grammars and independents, 'horrendous places to spend even 5 minutes', for all kinds of reasons. I am not sure this is what you meant, but being surrounded by well brought up middle class children does not necessarily ensure a child is going to be happy or well served at school. I spent some hours last year in an airport departure lounge surrounded by young 'ladies' from one of the high-end, big-fee independents often discussed in the Inde section of this forum and it was a very unpleasant experience I can assure you.

It struck me that that Yorkshire school was a very happy and positive place, with the right values being encouraged, and most of the children did not appear to be suffering too much.
copella

Post by copella »

Sherry-d I think if you watch the programme again you will hear the school did try and support him. There is mention of support from SALT, helping with bullying and trying to contact the exam boards, they probably also did other things which many have been edited out.

The school were it seems at a point where they had to invent something to ensure he could take part in the speaking and listening exam. It also probably made good tv, but i felt the teachers were hard working and caring. In my job I go to lots of outstanding, desirable schools which are oversubscribed, but which have poor pastoral support and end up suspending/ excluding many of the types of children shown on the programme. What I admired was how the teachers persisted and didn't give up. Perhaps they aren't schools I would want my children to go to, but I would prefer them to go there than to schools which care little for their pupils emotional well being and pay scant regard to the difficult backgrounds of the children which attend, seeing academic achievement as the only thing to strive for.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now