Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What is a BB gun?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:06 pm 

My DS would very much like a BB gun. I have an aversion to the idea of a 'gun' and research on the internet has not really helped me understand what a BB gun is or why he wants one. What do they do with them? I was hoping someone on the forum may know the answers and whether they are suitable for a boy in secondary school? I think I would prefer that he went for a cycle ride!

Post subject: Re: What is a BB gun?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:13 pm 

A replica gun with hard pellets. I think they are illegal for minors in this country but generally available when you go to countries like Turkey. Dangerous in my opinion and would it want my DS even playing with one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:28 pm 

I always assumed that BB stood for ball bearing. Could be wrong though.

Not something I would buy a child tbh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:37 pm 

Tinkers - yes the pellets used to be small ball bearings but now available in plastic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:39 pm 

They were very popular round here a couple of years ago - kept finding the pellets in the back streets. Had hoped the craze had passed (DS loves gun toys - in common with the majority of boys who grow up in all female passifist households)
BB guns would definitely go on my banned list for "you'll have someone's eye out with that" reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:57 pm 

Yes they fire pellets. future is right, though, they are definitely illegal to buy under 18 and I think they might be illegal to use as well, unless supervised. In addition they look like the real thing which, imo, is the best reason of all not to get one.

Recommend paint-balling or laser quest as an alternative :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:35 pm 

Ours went through a phase of airsoft, often called bb, they fire small plastic balls and are more annoying than dangerous. Come in an impressive and expensive range of options, DD has a pump action shotgun.

Oh and they have to be bright orange so they can't be mistaken for the real thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:37 pm 

(DS loves gun toys - in common with the majority of boys who grow up in all female passifist households)

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:07 pm 

neveragain* wrote:
(DS loves gun toys - in common with the majority of boys who grow up in all female passifist households)

Similar situation here - did you know that velcro-tipped nerf-gun pellets stick to fleecy onesies? Don't ask how I know that. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:32 pm 

We have loads of BB guns, biodegradable ammo, targets, face protection masks. We live next to a big wood, with dell areas perfect for playing safely without harming anyone or anything, as there is clear visibility....I do not stay and play, I wander off with the dogs...I know the temptation for dh and I to shoot one another in the bum, would be too big. The guns are bright orange in a range of styles, black replicas are illegal, and the boys only use them when with dad.
When they have mates round an essential part of play is getting the BB guns out. They also have metal catapults, hand made catapults and their own hand made bows and arrows, which are a testament to dh skills at teaching them woodland crafts. Oh and nerf guns for playing inside or in the garden when dads not home.
I would much rather they are in the garden doing target practice, or running round the woods, than blasting off the heads of realistic animations on ps3 war games.
All three are gentle, animal loving boys, who would rescue a fly rather than hurt it, and although we live in an area big on hunting, fishing and shooting, they only partake in catching the occasional minnow..

In conclusion, if you have a big garden or private woodland to play in, then I would say let him get it out of his system, under adult supervision, and if doing owt but target practice, wear face protection. Should you hate the idea, then you make the rules and your beliefs come first.