Board games for the classroom

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KS10

Re: Board games for the classroom

Post by KS10 »

I don't actually know how to play it myself, but a colleague loves mancala.

My suggestion: Chinese Chequers.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Dominoes and packs of cards are brilliant, my class spend hours playing dominoes and 21 ( also incredibly cheap, from pound shop or The Works!) you could use up the dregs after you've bought the big stuff. Jigsaws are also popular, again my class spent ages on a Europe map one, with questions and flags (iyswim)
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Oooh so many great suggestions - thanks!
I am going to do a bit of research on my new list now.

P.S. Am going to buy Rummikub ourselves too as have looked at that one just now!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Would really urge you to have a look at Blokus and I would support puzzles and cards too.

We have a great puzzle of the counties of the UK. Always amazes children where some places are :oops: The Flags of the World puzzle is fantastic (think it may be Usborne) and I was in Sportsdirect yesterday and playing cards were 69p per packet!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Top Trumps can be fun and there are some fact based ones as well as others e.g. Star Wars.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

For card games monopoly deal is fun and much quicker than the real game, also Uno.

DD says her class used to play Hedbanz.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Jules, I would have thought that you might be able to get some of the more common games for free just by sending out a plea to parents. We have somehow ended up with 3 chess sets and two copies of Twister over the years.

That would free up funds for you to buy more unusual games. I absolutely love the games from this website http://www.thinkfun.com/rivercrossingjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The DSs were given "River Crossing" by someone as a present one year, and then "Rush Hour" the next year. They are great tests of logic and visual skills (dare I mention the words NVR?), and there are several different levels of difficulty for each game. Although they are billed as "Single Player" they are definitely appropriate for a couple of kids to combine forces on.

Most of ThinkFun's stuff is available on Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... 8312bint_b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
glawster

Post by glawster »

Traffic Jam or Rush Hour is a more unusual game that mine like to play. :D
Last edited by glawster on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Another vote here for Labyrinth.

Not mainstream, but I would also vote for Ricochet Robot.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Good idea Sally-Anne to ask if parents have any of the list they can donate to free up money for more unusual games.
We have Rush Hour at home and hadn't considered it for the classroom but yes actually, it doesn't have to be a solitary game. Like River crossing too.

Thanks for some fantastic suggestions so far everyone!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now