Samosas

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: Samosas

Post by scary mum »

Another question from me - do you think you could cook your version in the oven UmSusu? I don't like deep frying things very much.

Southbucks3 they sell very nice frozen samosas (uncooked) in our nearest large Asian shop, but I do fancy trying them from scratch.

Doodles, I would think you would have to cook the meat first.
scary mum
KS10

Post by KS10 »

It would need to be cooked and flavoured beforehand.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Dd1 doing Food Tech and cooking tomorrow, vol au vents. Filling is fine, but she's struggling with the puff pastry. Any advice? Talk about leaving this to the last minute.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

It is always cooked first doodles. Some people like to add one or two tomatoes too but you don't want the mixture to be saucy (or oily).

I often make an extra amount and freeze it - it can be fried straight from frozen. Or else I make the filling and freeze it in batches.
UmSusu
KS10

Post by KS10 »

If you google Quick & Easy Samosa Recipe, you will see a 15-minute video of a lovely lady making samosas and using egg roll wraps. It's about 3 minutes in.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Scary mum, you can definitely put the filo ones in the oven and possibly the spring roll ones - but I am not sure about that.
UmSusu
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

ginx wrote:Dd1 doing Food Tech and cooking tomorrow, vol au vents. Filling is fine, but she's struggling with the puff pastry. Any advice? Talk about leaving this to the last minute.
You have 5 minutes to hot foot it round the supermarket to buy a slab of frozen, otherwise she will be doing flaky pastry at school, roll-butter lobs-roll- butter blobs and on and on!

When did little ginx tell you her requirements? :lol:

Edit to add footnote..5.30pm ds1 asks, how can I do a poster for geography on my family immigration to England when we all come from England! Now doing research into eye colour/ hair colour and probable historic immigration, as we can trace everone back to about 1750ish in bucks!
Why why why..He has had all week!
Last edited by southbucks3 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Y

Post by Y »

southbucks3 wrote:
My mate thought it would be a good idea to pop home at lunchtime one day and make chips, when we were about 14! We spent the afternoon back at school, fretting about how we would explain the blackened ceiling and rancid odour :oops: ...thankfully we had the savvy to put it out, all be it amongst lots of squealing. We got a right chastising, my mate lost her paper round money for months, and we had to sub her for chips ftom the chipper to stop her moaning :lol:
My father worked in insurance, and having seen one too many claims (I never asked him about deaths and injuries...) for chip pan fires, we were never allowed a chip pan in the house. I imagine there's many a fireman who feels the same way. Interestingly, after witnessing an accident before seat belts existed in cars, he went out and installed them in his! Perhaps insurance isn't the business for those of a nervous disposition!
Amber

Post by Amber »

In haste as I am cooking (something much less exotic but IMHO almost as delicious - gratin dauphinoise potatoes) - thank you UmSusu. I don't have any objections to a bit of frying, nor indeed to peas, and I intend to try and have a go at these very soon. More than happy for you all to come over (come over for a samosa - almost rhymes) as long as you help wash up.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

gratin dauphinoise potatoes
ooh, lovely!

We've just had oxtail stew with herb dumplings..I love cooking ( OK , I just love food!)!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now