Is Gove giving us the GERM?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
succeed

Is Gove giving us the GERM?

Post by succeed »

I've been to a very interesting meeting regarding past and current educational practises , and the role of government (or lack of it, as the case maybe), in shaping educational policy. Amber - I'm sure you already know all this and more besides :lol:
Anyway,for those that are interested, thought I would share with you an article written by a highly respected Finnish educational expert. His theory is that Britain (along with New Zealand) is following the USA and adopting the 'GERM'; a term he has coined to explain the global marketisation of education. He also explains why Finland has managed to escape it.For me, it certainly resonates well with what is currently happening in education and explains the current backward 'pedagogical initiatives' and the negative narrative continously spun by the Gove re schools in general.

http://pasisahlberg.com/global-educatio ... t-is-here/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amber

Re: Is Gove giving us the GERM?

Post by Amber »

Yes; I have heard him speak on the matter. I think I have also cited his website on here before. He is a bit of a one-man travelling PR road show for Finnish education but the GERM (Global Education Reform Movement) argument is very seductive. He in fact would argue that Finland alone in the developed world has managed to resist it, and he may well be right.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now