Family Trees

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

Re: Family Trees

Post by Snowdrops »

Ginx, once you've exhausted the on-line census and birth/marriage/death certificates you need to then refer to parish records.

If these are not available on-line for the church/parish you need you'll be able to consult them at either the county archives or the church itself.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, Snowdrops, the last male name I have, born 1762 - but where? I can only guess where his sons were ... or follow the name on various sites, but it doesn't make sense. It's as if a whole generation is missing.

I am going to follow your advice and check out the church which I believe is still standing, and a lot of the family were christened there.

Thank you. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I am also tracing my tree - the bonus has been meeting distant relatives online.

I've also visited several record offices and churches in the county where my ancestors lived; really interesting.

It has also made me very grateful that females do not have to spend their whole lives producing children and that having a career is an enjoyable possibility.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Guest55; meeting distant relatives online/however must be wonderful. I need to visit record offices and churches as well, the problem is they are a couple of hours away. Which probably isn't that far away, really.

Did you find it addictive?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

It gets very addictive Ginx!

I'm lucky enough to live 45 minutes or so from where my 3x great grndma (and preceeding relatives) was born. I've been ti the house they lived in and even made fruends with one if the current incumbents. I've found they were well to do at the time and met up with the branch of the family who got all the money :( I even have a bill of sale from my 2 x great granddad fir a hay sledge he purchased in 1890 something.

Yeh, it gets addictive (wait until you get copies of photos *squeal* emoticon)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh, before you go to any record offices/ churches phone before hand if they're any distance away (or check on-line if you can) to make sure they hold the registers you want to look at.

Also worthwhile checking out is the local studies section of the library of the town your relatives lived. They sometimes hold copies of parish records on film/ fiche. They also hold electoral records and you may find stories in newspapers (if something newsworthy happened to your family). WWI and II records can also be a great source if information.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's a long journey so you need to make the most of it. I had to book a microfiche reader so I could read some of the stuff.

They let me photograph some of the parish records so that was brilliant.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Snowdrops, it's about three hours away to the church where some may have been baptised. Unfortunately all were very poor - I think. I just want to know.

It's tempting fate, but all the men (I'm tracing male line) lived a good age and all had many children.

And I certainly know it's addictive. Thanks for advice. I'd love copies of photos - or just certificates at this stage. I really want to get back to 1600's, or beyond.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now