Family Trees

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

Family Trees

Post by ginx »

I've spent ages doing my father's paternal family tree.

I bought a chart to write the names of his family members then realised I haven't done his mother's line.

Does anybody know if I can get a blank one that will clearly display just one side of his family? Don't suggest I draw one!

Has anybody any experience of genealogy? I'm stuck, and frustrated, and only got back to 1762.

Anybody know of anywhere I can get a chart just to insert names? This is a Christmas present. After all my subscriptions to various ancestry sites, it's been an expensive one.
hermanmunster

Re: Family Trees

Post by hermanmunster »

You have done v well to get to 1762 - often v hard before 1837 - particularly if names are v common. I have done a lot of genealogy and the welsh lines are a nightmare..

I have found that you need to use multiple sites as they vary in the resources available .

Re charts - I presume you have blanks on the chart now as mother's side is missing?

What you really need to do is just use a standard pedigree chart and start with his father... that would fill the whole chart with names
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I haven't really looked at it, but found this when typing blank family tree into Google (there are hundreds of others!):

http://www.familytreetemplates.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, kenyancowgirl, that is exactly what I wanted. Why didn't I find that?

hermanmunster, I'm truly addicted.

My father was desperate to be descended from the British founder of an American state, so he could get a discount on the school fees of a well known private school founded presumably by the same man a few hundred years ago. Whilst that's no longer relevant to my father, he wants to know. So do I!

I want to plot it out in a very clear chart and frame it. Thank you.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

hermanmunster wrote:I have done a lot of genealogy and the welsh lines are a nightmare.
We have some of those too. This is ds's 11x great grandfather - some fantastic Welsh names amongst his ancestors - which fortunately we didn't have to research ourselves - once we found him we got the connection to the work already done by others, and suddenly leapt back several more centuries.

Funnily enough ginx we don't have a connection to the founder of a state - but the chap in the link above was also the great-great grandfather of Martha Dandridge, who married George Washington and became the first "first lady" of the US.

It certainly makes history more interesting for ds1 when he knows that some of the people involved are (very distant :lol: ) relatives.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

LOL - your DS and I are probably ... oooo... 13th cousins!
ginx

Post by ginx »

Okanagan, very impressed. 1250. I'm never going to make it there. I'm stuck on somebody's parents, I know their names and the year plus or minus two they were born, but I cannot find out WHERE they were born. I've checked for spelling errors, everything I can think of.

1250. Wow.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

ginx - It goes back way further than that if you follow the all the links.

There are some fabulous names - especially some of the Scandinavian ones like Halfdan "White Leg" Olafsson b: Abt 704 d: 750 and his son Eystein I "Fart" Halfdansson b: 725 d: 780 (I assume that meant something different to it's modern English meaning!) and Sigurd "Snake Eye" Ragnarsson b: Abt 776 d: 830
ginx

Post by ginx »

Okanagan, did you do all the research yourself? Where did you find it? I'm stuck beyond 1837.

I'm only back to 1762 but relied on my father's family information (he was an only a child, no cousins), and family trees found on other sites, with a lot of double checking against censuses/addresses/names. It's taken me ages.

Not sure if I spend longer on Ancestry sites or here ... I find it desperately addictive. I like the way family names (even the more common ones which are difficult to trace) are passed down. My father's middle name (pass to my brother and his son) goes back generations. I find that sort of comforting, even though now married I'm part of another family tree.

I wish we had passed on family names. My oldest daughter's middle name is my middle name; our youngest son's middle name is my husband's middle name (strange symmetry there).

Okanagan, you could have given your dc very interesting names! :D
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

ginx wrote:Okanagan, did you do all the research yourself?
No my mother and mother in law did a lot of it. Then I picked it up a few years later when a lot more was available on the net, and managed to find a lot more clues that way which hadn't been available when they originally did it with paper and microfiche, and found some new links where the paper trail had gone cold.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now