Nelson Mandela

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

IronMikeTyson

Re: Nelson Mandela

Post by IronMikeTyson »

magwich2 wrote:Hi Sherry d
No need to be so rude - there are plenty of other people out there making similar comments so there is clearly a debate to be had.

I frequently agree with many of your posts and when I don't I accept there are differing points of view.

I quite agree with the point of view that South Africa under apartheid was not an acceptable way to treat people but that does not make the level of violence there automatically ok. I do not claim to know an enormous amount about the place but I consider that completely forgetting Mandela's past and re-writing history is not the way to go.

My opinion and not yours but we can surely be courteous about the matter?
Who has forgotten about his past and who has re-written history ? The man's past was all part of him. I salute him and the violence against the apartheid state !
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
copella

Post by copella »

Personally I feel he was a great man who did what he had to do to help get rid of apartheid. Many blacks were killed and abused. They had no power and little help from outside, at times violence has to be used for the greater good. RIP Mandela.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”

My favourite quotes from Nelson Mandela.

A truly inspirational man. Rest in Peace Madiba. X
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Strange that you should choose the name of Magwitch and not accept that sometimes laws are wrong and it becomes impossible to work within them? Do you think the law that would hang Magwitch for returning to England to see Pip after completing his sentence in Australia should have been obeyed? Would you call Pip an outlaw for helping Magwitch to evade capture? Would you call the Jews in **** Germany terrorists for not operating within the insane laws forced through by Hitler? Mandela had the courage to spend his life fighting against extreme bigotry and was able to overcome any feelings of bitterness for years of hard labour by becoming firm friends with his white guards. I expect any still alive will have been invited to his funeral if he left any plans. The hard labour ruined his lungs and his eyesight and it was that damage to his lungs that eventually killed him. Students studying To Kill a Mockingbird for GCSE today find it hard to understand because they understand so little of what happened in South Africa and America. My dd's report that their classmates really know nothing at all about it. It has become history thanks to people like Mandela. I have made my dd's sit through the entire series of Eyes on the Prize so that they will understand what happened in my lifetime. Let's hope that future generations continue to be puzzled by it and it never happens again. DG
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Daogroupie, Additional things that I would recommend if you haven't seen them/read them, if you want your daughters to get an understanding of the situation and circumstances to read Madiba's "Long walk to freedom" - it is truly interesting and inspiring. I would also recommend Steve Biko's "Cry Freedom" - it has been made into a film which has edge of seat stuff and is fantastically portrayed by Denzil Washington - I read the book and then saw the film and it is a brilliant adaptation - particularly pertinent to me as I know the High Commissioner of Lesotho at the time, where Kevin Kline escaped to...just fascinating and easy to watch in the sense that it is a great film, even if the subject is tough. I would also recommend Invictus - particularly good for rugby boys - but again, very true to the real story and sets the scene superbly.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Well DAO, on a day that reminds us all of the power and importance of forgiveness and humility, I find myself agreeing with you! RIP Mandela and the Sharpville 69. May we all learn from them.
ETA +1 Kenyancowgirl (great name!)
mad?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Thank you mad? - great country on an amazing Continent :)
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

The fuss over Nelson Mandela has reminded me that history is written by the victors.
In the 1970's South Africa was run by an elite (white) cabal. Today South Africa is run by an elite (black) cabal. Is life for the ordinary South African any better as a result? I doubt it.

Having said that, I rather liked Nelson Mandela because he seemed to mellow in his old age. In other words he could have been much worse. I rather like Ian Paisley for the same reason, but I can't get excited about either of them.
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

I often wish the Palestinians would smarten up, learn from Mandela on how to bring down a fascist apartheid state...he did it quite successfully
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

sbarnes wrote:I often wish the Palestinians would smarten up, learn from Mandela on how to bring down a fascist apartheid state...he did it quite successfully
In the final analysis Apartheid was broken down by Economic sanctions and the threat of sanctions from the U.S.A.

Israel is very different- unlimited and unquestioned support from the U.S and Britain.

Additionally the Palestanian leaders are regularly assassinated and the Palestanians have negative propaganda due to the media being Anti Arab and Anti Muslim.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"