"Selling" extra coaching to child who isn't keen

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Re: "Selling" extra coaching to child who isn't keen

Post by Yamin151 »

mystery wrote:Yes, same issues here, particularly with my number 2.

I would suggest that for the child who feels overwhelmed by maths problems that they are capable of doing, the Schofield and Sims books don't help because of the rather faint print, small close text, and not very child friendly wording. Maybe take a look at that bookshop and choose something that appeals to him more for the home extra e.g. CGP level 5 targeted questions. Lots more white space etc. They also do books specifically for KS2 "level 6".

The other thing you can do is buy the teachers' guide for the S and S mental arithmetic series. It gives a placement test which shows which book you theoretically should be on. Then it does a diagnostic test showing which curriculum areas you need to work on to be able to do that book successfully.
Sorry, being dim, CGP? That is a good idea, will look.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

fairyelephant wrote:Slightly more basic parenting here! Yesterday DH promised DS a stick of kit kat every day if he does his vr/Nvr 15 mins a day practice with effort and without avoidance tactics and delay! Worked a treat this morning. Have also tried a version of bonus parent time, matching work time with screen time and doing some myself at the same time ("to share his pain"). TBH have to keep changing tactics to keep his interest, only 3 more weeks then it's over! If you really think he needs it, then you might have to dig deep to keep him at it til sept.
Tbh, there's not a lot I WOULDN'T do for a stick of kit Kat :lol:

Quite right though, tactics do change, and quite like the idea of doing my work alongside...."
mystery

Post by mystery »

C g p do gazillions of study books. Worth browsing online and in the shops. Their ways of doing things in the maths study guides are not always my favourite - but I am fussy!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

mystery wrote:C g p do gazillions of study books. Worth browsing online and in the shops. Their ways of doing things in the maths study guides are not always my favourite - but I am fussy!
Is gazillions a technical term? Must be something to do with the American economy!!

Thanks for this, and also for the recommendation of the book Bounce. Thanks to you I didn't turn off kindle until 1am! Fascinating stuff and I've just started a new topic on it. Thing 1s teacher had already talked to me about learning mindsets based on his tendency to close up with maths and everything else I already mentioned. He was talking about carol dweck, ties in beautifully and it makes SO MUCH SENSE! Plus, in theory, I can take up tightrope walking after all! :lol:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

:( I feel like the mum of a 13 year old. Will he be all sweetness and light by 13 do you think??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not a blooming chance...well he will be, for 5 minute slots, normally preceding the desire to sting you for a tenner for the cinema....which you gladly hand over, because it means he will not be in the house stropping, sulking, or stinking all afternoon. :?

Actually in fairness I have had 2 days of relative bliss with ds1, sadly I am getting more tense the longer it goes on, waiting for the inevitable moment when Edward Hyde comes home from school instead.
JSN

Post by JSN »

Yamin I have checked your credit score and now agree to lend you that tanner you need at JSN-WINGA-WONGY rates of a gazillion apr- now sign on the dotted line :D

Now hurry up before I change my mind
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JSN wrote:Yamin I have checked your credit score and now agree to lend you that tanner you need at JSN-WINGA-WONGY rates of a gazillion apr- now sign on the dotted line :D

Now hurry up before I change my mind
Ooh quick! :D I can buy that 54" plasma screen now, to go with my big F.O. Satellite dish!!
JSN

Post by JSN »

You won't be buying anything after I've taken your house , car and anything else you own :wink:
now if you want a better deal you better ask The Bank of Sbarnes( the ultimate free lunch, provided you have enough resources not to need a loan in the first place)

on a serious level someone should do something about these "pay day loans" -preying on the vulnerable :evil:
Last edited by JSN on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Yamin151 wrote: Tbh, there's not a lot I WOULDN'T do for a stick of kit Kat :lol:
:shock:

You sound like the ideal date...! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Proud_Dad wrote:
Yamin151 wrote: Tbh, there's not a lot I WOULDN'T do for a stick of kit Kat :lol:
:shock:

You sound like the ideal date...! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now