Psoriasis ...........heartbreaking :(

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wonderwoman

Re: Psoriasis ...........heartbreaking :(

Post by wonderwoman »

I feel for you and your DD.

My DD has a birth injury resulting in a small and fairly useless arm and now further scars from operations to try to repair the damage.

It is heartbreaking as a parent to see your child have any sort of problem, but I have always told my DD it is what makes her special - herself - different from others. There is no point in pretending she doesn't have a disability and although I truly wish I could change it, I can't. Other children and sometimes adults can be insensitive or down right cruel and mean, if they are allowed to be. That is their problem, not my DD or your DD's problem. I have always encouraged my DD to tell others about her arm and to report any type of meanness. But you're right moving to a new school brings all sorts of anxieties and your DD may feel it will mark her out.

I would speak to teachers as soon as you can and keep in close touch with her form teacher, but also try to find some children who are moving with her, ask if they can be in the same form for support and spend the time before going to secondary to build up a friendship if needed.
ginx

Post by ginx »

When discussing dd2 starting gs last Sept, some parents on here said their gs's arranged get togethers for dc and parents before they started school.

Maybe you could find out if your dd's school has a similar meeting, and try and meet some other dc and parents? Our school didn't do anything like that, but I know others did.
Unique

Post by Unique »

Thank you for the link sonasona.

Wonderwoman - it was very kind of you to share such a personal experience and I am grateful for your empowering comments. You are right it is difficult to see your child in any difficulty. A minority of people can be cruel and insensitive but it is their problem. I sincerely wish you and your dd the best.

Ghee - thank you, I fully intend on meeting with the school and doing everything I can to ensure my dd has an enjoyable experience at gs.

Thank you all once again.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Unique,

I find that in my DDs grammar, they are accepting of people as they are. Hope your DD doesnt feel the need to hide all the time.
Unique

Post by Unique »

Dear Modernista

I hope so too :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now