Florida/Disney ticket advice

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

southbucks3

Re: Florida/Disney ticket advice

Post by southbucks3 »

I recall watching a trailer trash programme in my mis-spent thirties about holiday swapping!

I am afraid people would be dragged up hills by us too...hey even I am dragged up hills, for fear that dh will let my babies fall off the top. (Following a well reported inappropriate welly footwear/big steep hill/climbing about on a trig point on a rainy slippy day adventure) We spend nearly as much on walking and camping gear every year as a disney trip :roll: I am waiting for the day they are sensible enough not to worry me sick when they are up there, then I can stay on the flats, and mooch about.

We did Disney before kids, and it was...ahem...Ok! After kids in Paris and it was pretty awful!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yes I have shared some of your fears about lost/injured children on mountains too, especially when they were smaller. Now all the kids literally run ahead of us and I am at the age where I have started to worry about falling myself, rather than them falling. I get the encouraging comments now, rather than dishing them out ('come on Mum, it's not much further now, you can do it'). I did rather come a cropper in Iceland a year or two ago and it is frightening to feel your feet go from under you; but I would prefer to get my thrills that way than on a roller coaster. Still, horses for courses, as they (who?) say. :D
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Amber wrote: Anyone who made friends with me via a forum, scary, should be aware that the Amber clan is more likely to be found doing hardcore hiking or up a mountain than at a Disney park. In fact we are more likely to be doing pretty much anything than visiting a Disney Park. I guess it cuts both ways though...I would be happy to try most things if someone else was paying.
That's reminiscent of most of my childhood "holidays". Being dragged up Scafell Pike in the wind and rain and then trudging back down to sleep in a tent in a boggy field. :(

Its probably one of the reasons I enjoyed going to Disneyworld so much as an adult! :D
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Amber wrote:Yes I have shared some of your fears about lost/injured children on mountains too, especially when they were smaller. Now all the kids literally run ahead of us and I am at the age where I have started to worry about falling myself, rather than them falling. I get the encouraging comments now, rather than dishing them out ('come on Mum, it's not much further now, you can do it'). I did rather come a cropper in Iceland a year or two ago and it is frightening to feel your feet go from under you; but I would prefer to get my thrills that way than on a roller coaster. Still, horses for courses, as they (who?) say. :D
My children think I am a great source of hilarity, particularly as I am a great one for bottom scootching down if the going gets tough, and hanging onto blades of grass for their well known life saving stability :lol: Dh and kids cannot understand how I do not feel the passionate need to reach the very top...to put it simply, unless there is a diet coke tap and a chocolate machine, I will stay 6 foot lower on my bum on the slightly less angular rocks and they can tell me about it!

For me bliss would be a combination of history, architecture and a bit of poolside relaxing and booze. The boys would hate it!
Their favourite activity on our last holiday was "bracken swimming" in Wales...ie trainers, shorts and a t shirt, running through 8 foot tall thick bracken at the bottom of a hill getting drenched in rain or dew.....every day of the holiday. :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Proud_Dad - my kids are the ones driving this. I love the outdoors but I have managed to breed three who would go out in all weathers and walk for hours and hours. I can't see any of them agreeing to even look at Disney tbh.

We tried a pool and relaxation holiday this year. My goodness it was boring. And too hot to go walking. One week and we were so glad to get home!

I still don't think you can beat Scandinavia for the perfect holiday - all that natural beauty but it is very civilised too.

Think my lot would like to holiday with you, SB3. Meanwhile good luck to the Disney lovers.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Don't get me wrong. Now that I'm an adult I'd enjoy a mountain walking holiday. As a kid though I didn't really appreciate it and it was probably also a case of wanting what I couldn't have. Staying in a caravan used to seem like a luxury!

I've never been one for just lying round a pool either though. As an adult, before having children I used to like going to far flung places where I could travel around and experience the culture.

These days its trying to find something that keeps the whole family happy. I quite like going somewhere where there's something fun and outdoors to do (in good weather!) and we can also see a bit of culture. e.g. skiing in the Alps, scuba diving in Egypt, surfing in France etc.

Re Disney, I wouldn't want to go every year but I did find it a lot of fun as a one off so long as you go in the right frame of mind and get in touch with your inner child! :D
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Proud_Dad wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:I think you must be able to buy time machines in America!!!! I might have got that wrong maybe!! But no queuing anyway.

Thanks for the website tips, thats really helpful
No problem.

I was curious about this guided tour with no queuing that you mentioned. I googled it and it is available. The only thing which might put a few people off is that it costs $340 per hour!!! :shock:

I assume your friends are paying this and that they aren't short of a few quid! Who are they, Mr and Mrs Bill Gates? :?
Mr and mrs Bill something, but not Gates! I did start the thread by saying as subtly as possible that we just wanted one day, I didn't want to show off about it, but you lot are curious! We could never do this in a million years ourselves and are very very lucky. I plan to engage my best Downton Dowager Duchess while I am there to earn my keep!!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

southbucks3 wrote:I recall watching a trailer trash programme in my mis-spent thirties about holiday swapping!

I am afraid people would be dragged up hills by us too...hey even I am dragged up hills, for fear that dh will let my babies fall off the top. (Following a well reported inappropriate welly footwear/big steep hill/climbing about on a trig point on a rainy slippy day adventure) We spend nearly as much on walking and camping gear every year as a disney trip :roll: I am waiting for the day they are sensible enough not to worry me sick when they are up there, then I can stay on the flats, and mooch about.

We did Disney before kids, and it was...ahem...Ok! After kids in Paris and it was pretty awful!
I love trekking up hills, and that is our usual holiday choice, but I don't think there is any doubt his much the boys will enjoy it..........
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Proud_Dad wrote:Don't get me wrong. Now that I'm an adult I'd enjoy a mountain walking holiday. As a kid though I didn't really appreciate it and it was probably also a case of wanting what I couldn't have. Staying in a caravan used to seem like a luxury!

I've never been one for just lying round a pool either though. As an adult, before having children I used to like going to far flung places where I could travel around and experience the culture.

These days its trying to find something that keeps the whole family happy. I quite like going somewhere where there's something fun and outdoors to do (in good weather!) and we can also see a bit of culture. e.g. skiing in the Alps, scuba diving in Egypt, surfing in France etc.

Re Disney, I wouldn't want to go every year but I did find it a lot of fun as a one off so long as you go in the right frame of mind and get in touch with your inner child! :D
I'm certainly not a one or the other holiday person. I've done all sorts, my idea of **** is a full two weeks, or even one,a t Disney, but two days? Bring it on! I also love sitting on a sunny Italian terrace sipping prosseco (who doesn't?) and I've done lying on a hot beach (with children? No!). Nowadays we camp, usually somewhere very wet (even if the rest of the country is enjoying a heatwave it seems, thanks Dartmoor!!), and I love it. Well, not when it's wet, but nothing better when kids are happy and the sun shines, or at least doesn't completely go away! I think it depends on your stage in life. My ideal is a two centre holiday with loads to do, lots of history and lovely architecture, gorgeous food, a pool and warmth and nice wine!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Oh no...yamin i never meant to say yours would be awful, how mean that looked,yours will be amazing, how badly that came across without clarity! We had two toddlers a five year old and a very grumpy dh, and when we got home at midnight ds2 fell over on our step, split his head and concussed himself had to go to hospital, hence awful...I am sure with sunny weather, a fast track guide and friends, even my dh would have a great time,my boys would love it...can they come. :D