Meningitis rash with no other symptoms

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Meningitis rash with no other symptoms

Post by Amber »

I could be wrong here so please don't take my word for it but I thought the rash which sometimes accompanies meningococcal septicaemia tended to occur on legs and arms rather than the face?
hopefulmum2

Post by hopefulmum2 »

My son had a non-blanching rash on his face once. The hospital said it was burst blood vessels from coughing so much. Again they said if it was anything more serious he would go down hill fast.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Amber wrote:I could be wrong here so please don't take my word for it but I thought the rash which sometimes accompanies meningococcal septicaemia tended to occur on legs and arms rather than the face?
Amber, so did I - and the "trunk" of the body (i.e. stomach and back), hence my comment that it could be something like slapped cheek syndrome. Vasu just keep an eye on him and if there are any changes then you could always check these with NHS Direct/GP/A&E.
vasu

Post by vasu »

scarlett wrote:I think the main thing would be to look at your son's clinical presentation as a whole. Is it just a rash with no other symptoms you mean? Although it's possible for.initial blood tests to come back ok, meningitis doesn't tend to hang around and by now your son would be quite unwell. There are lots of viral infections going around at the moment and strange , non blanching rashes can be part of the picture. Often, you will get a rash after you are recovering from something as it's your body's way of flushing out the culprit, so to speak.

So, I think if your son isn't lethargic, drinking well, passing urine and no other worrying symptoms, I would accept the a/e drs advice and just ride it through. Give him piriton if it's itchy, paracetamol for temperature, comfort etc. Hope he feels better soon.
He is fine. No itches or any form of discomfort. Went to bathroom for his big and small job!! I am keeping an Eye on him but these "out of the blue"rashes are confusing, especially when there is no concrete reason for them to occur. I am just freaking myself out maybe for nothing but there is always...what if.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Vasu..I think you're worried because of the gps comment. Not sure why he gave you two conflicting opinions really. It's either meningitis or its not and I think you're probably on tenterhooks now, thinking it's going to develop into something nasty. Viral rashes really are very common and many are what we call non specific, meaning they just aren't specific enough to identify virus causing them, but they most probably are viral in nature. I'm sure it will clear up in a few days. However, it's tricky to ask for advice on here, when we can't see your son through the screen! You know him best and if he develops any more symptoms, then you can always ask for follow.up blood tests but just bear in mind that any illness doesn't disappear in a day. Some viral illnesses can hang around for a good week, so try not to worry.
vasu

Post by vasu »

scarlett wrote:Vasu..I think you're worried because of the gps comment. Not sure why he gave you two conflicting opinions really. It's either meningitis or its not and I think you're probably on tenterhooks now, thinking it's going to develop into something nasty. Viral rashes really are very common and many are what we call non specific, meaning they just aren't specific enough to identify virus causing them, but they most probably are viral in nature. I'm sure it will clear up in a few days. However, it's tricky to ask for advice on here, when we can't see your son through the screen! You know him best and if he develops any more symptoms, then you can always ask for follow.up blood tests but just bear in mind that any illness doesn't disappear in a day. Some viral illnesses can hang around for a good week, so try not to worry.
Thank you Scarlet. You are right.The A&E doctor did say it was just viral.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Keep us posted! X
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

One of mine had a viral rash last week too - they are very common. He was off colour for a couple of days, but nothing major. Hope all is OK.
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Dh home now

He said it didn't hurt, looked horrible, stopped spreading on day 1, and was deffo put down to the chesty cold that he'd had.

The purpura rash is exactly the same rash as you get with meng but obviously without the infection.
A viral rash is normally red, the purpura is deffo dark reddy purple, as it is broken blood vessels.

I had meng when I was 28, it was thankfully viral, but he would deffo be showing the symptoms by now 8 hours later, as it progresses quickly. I can honestly say if someone had offered to shoot me I would have accepted!

Probably spent the morning flicking himself with elastic bands to get off school :wink:

You have every right to whittle, you are a mummy. :D
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

hopefulmum2 wrote:My son had a non-blanching rash on his face once. The hospital said it was burst blood vessels from coughing so much. Again they said if it was anything more serious he would go down hill fast.
Had a similar scare with DS1 on a Sunday evening when he was aged six'ish months and had a bath time tantrum. He developed a chest rash, went to out of hours GP service and had to listen as they argued to have him admitted to hospital, the strained conversation was along the lines of, I won't discharge this patient but if you want too without seeing him.......

Spent a scary night back in the maternity wing. Met a shell shocked bloke in the lift, my wife's just had triplets he blurted, keep away from me I thought. Funny the details you remember.

Next morning discharged by a consultant who suggested DS1 had burst a blood vessel in his chest and the rash was the blood seeping out of his pores, yuk. And the winner of the screaming competition is. :)

Meningitis is so scary and fast, it is right to err on the side of caution.