The power of "Minecraft"

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

southbucks3

The power of "Minecraft"

Post by southbucks3 »

Things are getting a bit too intense on this forum, we need a few laughs.

This evening the rabbits got cleaned out by ds2, a short English comprehension practice was completed without grumbles by ds3, and ds1 is doing extra French revision on quizlet under supervision (so no pretending) at the kitchen table. What a marvellous, organised parent I am, you all cry, what lovely boys. Nope...they have "bought" half an hour on the kitchen timer each on ps3 Minecraft! The added bonus is ps3 is normally banned Monday- Thursday along with other gaming, but I relented as they had wanted to play out, but it started sleeting and raining again . Brrrrrr

So...what would your kids become angels for, and more interestingly can you remember if you would have done any extra chores or homework in return for any particular reward?

Mine would have been going to the shop with my best friend and getting Angel delight or the ingredients for ice cream soda to make at home or round her house. Or as I got a tiny bit older "grange hill" which my dad hated me watching...cannot believe we all fancied "Tucker Jenkins" :lol:
Tinkers

Re: The power of "Minecraft"

Post by Tinkers »

My DD has never played minecraft, and has no interest in such things.

She will however do just about anything for chocolate. Offering extra pocket money for chores doesn't motivate her. Chocolate does.

Saturday, she even made our tea, as DH was busy watching rugby so refused to help, and for some reason she didn't ask me.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

My DS will do anything for extra time on Minecraft, pity he has had all Minecraft privileges removed this week. It is the ultimate punishment in our house :lol: He is also making videos which he puts on YouTube so being on the computer is really important.

DD will do anything for a tick on her chart, which she can then convert into money in the future. I have come home from work to find her cleaning the kitchen, including the washing up without asking, she is always ready to do jobs around the house from hoovering to ironing. She also does her homework without asking and extra GS exam study. Her other weakness is to be taken out to a coffee shop as a treat for doing things.

Me on the other hand an evening out, or chocolates, or even a massage... I suppose I can dream.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Pokémon cards for DS.
These pieces of cardboard are so ludicrously overpriced that, before 11 plus reared its ugly head, I never would have agreed to buy them.
I ordered a job lot online before Christmas and they are earned at a rate of about one pack every three weeks.

DD's addiction is lip balm - I got a lot of shopping and babysitting out a tin of Vaseline "paint the town red."

I do remember performing huge feats of hard work, additional housework, and all round good behaviour for a pair of silver tap shoes when I was eight or nine. In the end my mum bought them for me early because she accidentally blacked my eye! :shock:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

In the end my mum bought them for me early because she accidentally blacked my eye! :shock:

:lol:
my friend got his first car paid for in sixth form, which had been under heavy negotiation, when his mum accidentally hit him on the back of the head with the axe when they were chopping wood. :shock: A night in a and e and a few stitches and the car was his!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

southbucks3 wrote:Things are getting a bit too intense on this forum,.....
Real life got a bit intense today so anything to lighten the day. :)

DD has announced she has researched (logs available PEA style) and waited a week before asking for a pet hamster. All I can think of is Basil the rat from Fawlty Towers. I am now being out maneuvered by a persuasive DD.

I've been asked/ordered to present my five key objections. :lol: Hang on who is the boss here?

Minecraft is a bit like online lego :wink: although it does encourage some repetitive, time consuming and addictive behaviour, time to take the imaginary hamster for a walk.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Since you already have an imaginary dog, one of the reasons should be the dog could eat the hamster.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Minecraft and chocolate here! But they only get a half hour a day so anything extra a big pull!
As for me..........current bribe might be a half hour with mike Ross off 'suits', but don't tell dh! :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Dh has unplugged the Xbox and hidden the controllers :shock: so we are now in negotiations about their return. He says after DS1's GCSE' s DS2 is quite rightly having heart failure at this as the dratted exams aren't until summer 2015!!!!
talea51

Post by talea51 »

doodles wrote:Dh has unplugged the Xbox and hidden the controllers :shock: so we are now in negotiations about their return. He says after DS1's GCSE' s DS2 is quite rightly having heart failure at this as the dratted exams aren't until summer 2015!!!!
:lol: I snorted tea all over my keyboard when I read that! I like your dh's style but I can see DS2's point! Summer 2015 seems a bit long to wait. :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now