Music Theory - Tutor

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Peridot

Re: Music Theory - Tutor

Post by Peridot »

Yes dyslexicneedshelp is right: another very sound alternative if your children don't want to do the Grade 5 theory exam, but want to keep playing and taking practical exams, is to switch to the Trinity Guildhall exams. I know the Associated Board exams tend to be seen as the gold standard, but it's not necessarily true these days; the Trinity exams are often better suited to individual instruments and have excellent scale/arpeggio exercises for example, and in the lower grades have a choice of a General Musicianship section which is very good. I know music teachers who offer their pupils either board depending on requirements, or have moved over fully to Trinity exams as they feel they are better. This is particularly true for woodwind and brass. The syllabuses (syllabi?) can vary tremendously between the two. And a Trinity grade 6 or above has just the same number of UCAS points as an ABRSM grade 6 or above.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks, everyone. You've all been very helpful.

DD is actually doing Trinity which, I have been led to believe is easier than ABRSM (Trinity grade 6 = ABRSM grade 5?). The accompanist says that she will have to take grade 5 theory before she can take any more practical exams but her violin teacher isn't so sure and believes that, if true, it must be a fairly recent requirement. It doesn't really matter though as DD has decided to follow the accompanist's advice ... until her next mini-breakdown. I don't mind what she decides as long as she keeps playing.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

KS10 wrote:Thanks, everyone. You've all been very helpful.

DD is actually doing Trinity which, I have been led to believe is easier than ABRSM (Trinity grade 6 = ABRSM grade 5?). The accompanist says that she will have to take grade 5 theory before she can take any more practical exams but her violin teacher isn't so sure and believes that, if true, it must be a fairly recent requirement. It doesn't really matter though as DD has decided to follow the accompanist's advice ... until her next mini-breakdown. I don't mind what she decides as long as she keeps playing.
Check out the Music FAQs here

http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/site/?id=2898

Trinity levels are accredited at exactly the same level as ABRSM equivalent and there is no theory requirement.

I think you are completely right KS10, it only matters that she wants to keep playing and making progress with or without exams of any kind. :D
modernista

Post by modernista »

Our local youth orchestra has theory lessons, I believe its not much more than self teaching in a group situation but you could use as an excuse.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Update.

DD did grade 6 and has just started with a new music teacher. She is like a different child. She has switched to ABRSM and wants to do grade 7, although there is no rush. Plus, she did grade 3 theory in the end so will have to do grade 5 first. So it's going well at the moment :D.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I know nothing about such things but my DD seems to be stuck at level 2 her weekly 1hr tutor uses Micheael Aaron Piano Course we are not interested in formal exams ect but a whole year at grade two is that reasonable progress for a bright 12 yr old??

should I be considering another tutor or give up all together after having paid a small king's ransom on a mini-grand?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Please do look at alternatives to theory for going beyong grade 5 practical in ABRSM - you can do the jazz grade 5 exams instead which are more fun.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Catseye, I don't think there's anything unusual about being on one grade for a year. Apart from the first two grades, DD has spent a year on each grade and in fact for grade 6 it took a year and a half. If I'd had my way, it would have taken two years. How does it work if she's not doing exams? Does she have to follow a course because she's mastering the basics?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My daughter isn't bothering with grade exams either. Her teacher does a variety of things, I know she does sight reading practise most weeks but in the main they decide between them what pieces she learns next. He covers some theory from time to time too, but only because he asked if she wanted to. I have no idea what sort of level she is at, but suspect about grade 2ish, he asked this time last year if she wanted to do grade 1, she didn't and I won't make her. I'd rather she just enjoys playing.

The important thing (to me at least) is do you think her playing is progressing? Does she want to carry on? Does she enjoy it?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Once they aproach grade 6, exams are worth UCAS points which may help to secure a lower uni offer.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now