Cyclist in Kent killed on charity ride

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Peridot

Cyclist in Kent killed on charity ride

Post by Peridot »

My husband cycles to work every day and has had accidents and near misses, twice breaking bones. I have just read an article in the England section on the BBC News site about a man called Christian Smith who was killed on a road in a Kent in the early hours of Saturday morning, during a solo charity ride, by an eighteen-year-old drunk female car driver. This has just made me really angry. There was a thread recently about sending children out on bikes alone. I'd love to feel my two were safe cycling on the roads alone - we cycle a lot as a family - but where we live it is just too dangerous.

There is a JustGiving page for Christian Smith where people can donate to Mind, the mental health charity. At least that means there is something positive that people can do but the man had three children. Sorry for pontificating but please, everyone, be careful driving wherever there are cyclists about.
Daogroupie

Re: Cyclist in Kent killed on charity ride

Post by Daogroupie »

So your parents either loan you or give you a car, because you would not be buying your own car at 18. You then go out and drink until late on a Friday night and then get in the car and try and drive home. Two lives wasted as she will have to deal with what she did for the rest of her life. DG
southbucks3

Re: Cyclist in Kent killed on charity ride

Post by southbucks3 »

Awful!

Reading his "just giving" web page makes you bawl...He wrote "if I get to £1000 I will cycle naked round the wye", he is current on about 48k...

No matter what time (this was 4am) driving when drunk is hugely irresponsible, when I worked a bar in the country pub I did my damndest to prevent it, even refusing to serve quite strong characters and asking groups of kids who their allocated driver was, but it is very very hard to stop people. I had a group of lads let me watch them walk up the hill, then run back down when they thought I had gone and jump in their car! We told their parents and they replied nonchalantlyty, "we only live a mile away they would be very unlucky to get caught!" Well walk then!

At least the girl stopped, sadly we had a 2am hit and run locally last year, never been caught.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now