Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bollywood 40th!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:04 pm 

One of my best friends is having a Bollywood 40th birthday party. I am desperate to go but don't have a clue what to wear! Can anyone advise me? I've looked online and so many places say they send stuff unstitched, but I'm not gifted in sewing! Can anyone recommend a good, not-too-pricey internet site where they will send dresses/ sarees ready made, (and hopefully a good returns policy, if necessary)? Thanks! :D

Post subject: Re: Bollywood 40th!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:14 pm 

Where do you live? Sometimes its better to hit the shops and see the material before you buy etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:59 am 

I would second finding a local shop. We went to something similar and I had an outfit trousers & long tunic, (sorry don't know what it is called) made in a sari shop in Slough, which is quite near us - very reasonable & absolutely beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:08 am 

Hello take a look here:
http://www.diyaonline.com/
They are based in Luton. Reasonably priced and I have ordered before with no problems. Or as others have said, find a shop so you can try before buying.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:13 am 

Shalwar Kameeze is the top and trousers set. Easier to wear if you are a bit of a novice at saree tying. Sarees are not hard though - you can buy a length of saree fabric (the actual saree bit) off ebay and just wear a little t-shirt underneath (so you don't need the saree top to fit!) and look up saree tuition on Google, so that you tie it right!!

I had a similar party for my 40th and found an amazing charity shop in Spark Hill where I was able to pick up sarees and shalwar kameeze for about £4 or £5.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:47 am 

OMG kcg where about in sparkhill :o £4 :!:
I would totally agree with MamaBear go around the shops first i bought a few items on line and they were totally disastrous when they arrived...never again :!:
It depends on the area you live in :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:49 am 

Heh, heh, heh, catwoman...I know!! Was able to pick up loads to use as decorations - we swathed the marquee in sarees!! I am trying to remember the name of the shop - couldn't tell you the road or anything, I can find my way blindfolded but it's not my area, so I have just learnt the way in and the way back!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:36 am 

Well i'll be going for a search in all the charity shops in Sparkhill on the weekend :!: ...so if you see a mad frenzied woman looking bizarre with a million bags...its me :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:00 pm 

It's on the road in to Sparkhill from the motorway - before you get to the main Sparkhill - just over a big island (is it Robin Hood Island?) on a parade of shops on the right - will see if hubby can remember what it is called...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:20 pm 

£4 is a bargain! Also don't be afraid to bargain when buying sarees and shalwar kameezes. I bought two outfits and haggled like crazy, dh was so embarrassed but it worked I was able to get them half price! They are so beautiful I love the jewel like colours that are available!