Reading List for Grown Ups.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Re: Reading List for Grown Ups.

Post by Snowdrops »

southbucks3 wrote:
Snowdrops wrote:Arrrrrgh to the Max Hastings book Doodles.

If you really want to read up on WWI there are much better authors I could recommend :(

What has sir max done to upset you snowdrops? I thought it was a very well received book.

)
He hasn't done anything to upset me per se, he's just a lightweight historian.

Look at the range of books he's written: the Falklands, the Korean war, WWI and WWII to name but a few. No-one, and I mean no-one has an in-depth knowledge of that range of wars. He picks small areas of the conflicts and skims across the causes/strategies/effects etc.

There are many far, far greater historians who are better writers. Try Peter Hart for starters. You will soon see the difference in quality.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

I've really enjoyed Meg Wolitzer's The Interestings recently as well as the Cazalets! I'd forgotten about Zadie Smiths NW which I also loved, and reread Jonathan Franzen's Freedom.

I read a lot from the library and get so excited when my new books arrive on the shelf! Libraries are so fab! I was bought the new Sue Gee for my birthday as well as Sisterland and I am Pilgrim. I'm not sure what I will make of pilgrim.....will update when started it!

I also read Jeffrey Eugenides The Marriage Plot last week whilst ill, and I loved that too. I fancy reading more of his now.......

I love new book suggestions, so thank you for this thread! :D
doodles

Post by doodles »

Oh, I can do lightweight Snowdrops as I'm reading War and Peace at the moment too :shock:

Our library is ok' ish but I can never find anything. Just don't get me started on why it's called Kaleidoscope and not the Library :shock:

The Listeners, Summer in February and Casual Vacancy - the language/content in the latter is rather "fruity" in places but it's an excellent beach read.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Oh, what a great thread! :D

Here's the first instalment of my list. I read biography and history, and very little else:

Chris Stewart - Driving Over Lemons and two sequels

Anything by Ben MacIntyre (History - mostly WW2)

Katie Hickman - Daughters of Britannia (Tales of Diplomatic Wives over several centuries.)

Various books by Juliet Gardiner (20th century history/social history)

Anything by Kate Adie.

Tony Hawks - Around Ireland with a Fridge and sequels.

Charlie Connelly's "Shipping Forecast" was wonderful, and the follow-up "And Did Those Feet" was almost as good.

Anything by Mary S. Lovell - the best biographer I know.

<fans self after a few moments of total over-excitement>
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Anything by Mary S. Lovell - the best biographer I know.
Ah...Yes...she helps fuel my interest in the mitford sisters. Although my favourite book about them, is by them..."letters between six sistors" edited by Charlotte Mosley.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thumbs up for Tony Hawks (favourite is about playing tennis in moldova), Chris Stewart and Katie Hickman.

I like anything in the travel writing/biog genre. Also seem to have a few books that I read again and again and again.

Have to have two books on the go at once, one heavy and one lighter.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Very few "celeb" biogs fit the bill, but Andre Agassi did better than most. Apparently he worked very hard on it.

I certainly enjoyed it more than the average celeb biog.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Currently reading The Shock Of The Fall - totally ace!

Found Goldfinch a little bit of a let down compared to Secret History and Little Friend.

Other things read recently which I'd recommend;

Where did you go to Bernadette
The chicken who thought she could fly
The Husbands Secret
Gone Girl
Appletree Yard
The red house
She's come undone
Poisonwood Bible

Just read The Twins by Saskia somebody - has great reviews on amazon but found it deeply disappointing

Tried to read Wolf Hall but gave up! Feel I should try again!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:This week I have just remembered that I want to re-read a number of texts that came up in English exams: Charlotte Grey, The Crucible, An Inspector Calls, Roll of thunder hear my cry, Of Mice and Men...It is always the excerpts in the exams that remind me of forgotten lovelies!
I love Of Mice and Men, To Kill A Mockingbird and Animal Farm which we always have for gcse.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Love Tony Hawkes - and Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island made me weep with laughter...!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now