Reading List for Grown Ups.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kittymum

Re: Reading List for Grown Ups.

Post by kittymum »

There's an App!?! What's it called. I can never remember what I've read and end up buying them again and then on page 2 thinking "this is a bit familiar ..."
doodles

Post by doodles »

SB, sorry you couldn't get anything stronger for your eyes. You can buy optrex antibiotic eye drops over the counter and they are very good, also (now don't laugh) if you are washing your hair in the shower try closing your eyes and washing them with shampoo, don't know why it works just know it does :shock:
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DH has Kate Atkinson life after life to read but he is a slow reader, he did enjoy all of her case histories books.

I have all 5 of the White Queen series and thoroughly recommend them. If you like Phillippa Gregory try Alison Weir, I was advised by a librarian to try these.

I was given Dominion by CJ Sansom for Xmas and DH borrowed it and enjoyed reading it, he finished it in the quickest time ever. I have since read it and would thoroughly recommend it if you like alternative books; in this case what if the British surrendered after Dunkirk, his other books are also very good. Robert Harris is also good for these type of alternative books.

Last year we found a warehouse south of Bristol which was full floor to ceiling with books, everything was £1, the majority were unwanted library books, DH struggled to stop me from breaking the bank with the number of books I found and we definitely didn't have enough shelf space for them but who cares...
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

kittymum wrote:There's an App!?! What's it called. I can never remember what I've read and end up buying them again and then on page 2 thinking "this is a bit familiar ..."
There are lots of database apps, many specifically for books. We use an Android one called Book Catalogue, you can create your own categories and mark books as read or on loan etc. Enjoy :lol:

Where oh where is this warehouse?!?! Please tell.. we're heading that way during half term to visit friends, surely they would love a trip to a cheap book warehouse.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

It's called Book Barn International and it's on the Wells Road, close to the junction with the A37. It has a cafe so you can have a drink whilst perusing all of the floor to ceiling shelves. DH got a text book for his masters which would have cost £50 new for £1, he was very happy. Enjoy!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Have just bought Atkinson book on kindle, thank you. Also bought moonstone, thanks for that too...it cost 36p! Bargain!

Will go to bigger chemist in search of optrex drops doodles, not so desperate that I will wash my eyes with shampoo yet, maybe at 5am I will be...Dh just took me to a garden centre to cheer me up, forgot himself and held my eye rubbing hand walking round, now he is grumbling about me spreading diseases. :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

It does work honestly, and you do keep them shut :lol: just use the froth from your hair!
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

We've recently colour coded and shelved all of our books...... :shock:

They look beautiful in swathes of red, blue, yellow etc - we have hundreds of books so it's now like an interior design statement!! (!)

My (oh so slightly on the spectrum) DD and I did it, it was a fun afternoon, and strangely we can now find books more easily, we're quite a visual family so can often remember what colour a particular book was! :lol:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

neveragain* wrote:We've recently colour coded and shelved all of our books...... :shock:

They look beautiful in swathes of red, blue, yellow etc - we have hundreds of books so it's now like an interior design statement!! (!)

My (oh so slightly on the spectrum) DD and I did it, it was a fun afternoon, and strangely we can now find books more easily, we're quite a visual family so can often remember what colour a particular book was! :lol:

What with all the dystopia, Percy Jackson, junior Chris Ryan, Ian banks, morbid detectives etc, our "black" section would be vast. Am looking at our bookshelf as I type! I think pale blue comes next, then cream....all the classics, then red and orange. I think i will make an effort to buy a green book next time. :lol: We only have green dinosaur books and gardening books, oh and "flush" by Carl hiaasen is turquoisy green.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I wonder.......DH and I have just had a meaningful (heated) discussion on the state of the study. As space is rather tight apparently I'm a dinosaur because I like physical books as opposed to reading on a kindle/e reader :shock: :shock:

The atmosphere chez doodles may be a little frosty tonight!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now