How do YOU pronounce .......

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
southbucks3

Re: How do YOU pronounce .......

Post by southbucks3 »

Cliveden is definitively cleaveden for the commoners and cliv den for the upper crust.

Just like Woburn is woeburn for the commoners and wooburn for the posh....my mum always got teased by my dad as she pronounced it woo, as she had a very posh aunty who lived there.

Love the harwood of harewood thing ...very awkwardly British!

I once told a client to meet me at a building site in peppies road...I was reading off an a-z in haste, it was of course pepys...as in the diarist/ doctor...as the client quickly pointed out. :oops:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Marylebone always gives me a headache.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Norfolk is always a good bet If you want to get confused name wise:
Happisburgh pronounced Hazebra
Hautbois pronounced Hobis
and Bylaugh which is somehow Beela!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Also a village close to me Sproughton, is pronounced sprorton, and has nothing to do with a small unpopular vegetable despite the belief of radio travel news reporters.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

southbucks3 wrote:Cliveden is definitively cleaveden for the commoners and cliv den for the upper crust.
Gosh, I must be ever so posh, I've never heard it pronounced anything but Cliv-den. And yes, for some reason Beak-onsfield as opposed to Beck-onsfield really sets my teeth on edge!
scary mum
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I used to live in Streatham, in London....I genuinely wept with laughter when I heard a group of up and comings, in all seriousness, trying to describe it as St. Reatham. Batter-se-a has been around for a while, obviously.

Diana's resting place of Althorp (Altrop) always amuses me...and Mousehole (Mausel)...

But that is what makes us unique - no wonder the poor Americans have trouble with our Edinboro's....
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I went to a conference in America with delegates from all over. The delegates from the Good old southern states begged me to educate the masses on pronunciation. Particularly Suffolk, which Americans in general pronounce suf foke (as in people).

But then we say folkstone... as foke stone....not forkstun ...there is no rhyme or reason.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

KS10 wrote:Marylebone always gives me a headache.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Why limit it to Marylebone?!! The whole of London, nay, cities in general, does that for me...!!!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Why limit it to Marylebone?!! The whole of London, nay, cities in general, does that for me...!!!
Black snot and finger nails - urgh ...
I'm such a country-bumpkin (and proud!) :lol:

JD
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

JamesDean wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:
Black snot and finger nails - urgh ...
I'm such a country-bumpkin (and proud!) :lol:

JD
Although I'm relaxing slightly as they get older arrival at Marylebone is normally greeted by me announcing "I am going to look after ALL the travel cards, please stay where I can see you and don't run off and if anyone needs the loo we have to go now!"