World Cup Reading Challenge

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BlueBerry22

World Cup Reading Challenge

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Here's an interesting one - DS (aged 11) has been challenged by school to read 10 books across the next few weeks that are either written by an author from a country going to Brazil World Cup or whose subject matter is about a country participating in the Finals in Rio this month.

Helpfully there are no suggestions attached, putting aside Michael Morpungo who has probably written about most countries in the world - has anybody else got any other suggestions ?

After all the talk on top books for Adults I thought you might enjoy getting your grey matter around this one & it might unearth some new books for our DC's !!

BB22
Blitz

Re: World Cup Reading Challenge

Post by Blitz »

Some of Morris Gleitzman's (Australian author) books are fantastic, especially 'Once,' 'Then,' 'Now' and 'After.' I would avoid 'Bumface' ! ('Now' is set in Austrailia...these books need to be read in order)

Kiss The Dust by Elizabeth Laird (brilliant story), is set in Iran.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Ten.! :shock: a bit harsh, considering all the sports they do in summer!

The Pullman gothic books are set in different countries, and quite quick reads, scarecrow and his servant is set in Italy.

Edited to say, just had inspiration....if stuck, Herge will save face; Tin Tin has been everywhere!
Last edited by southbucks3 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Ten.! :shock: a bit harsh, considering all the sports they do in summer!
I have to agree. For the first time (last week) I wasn't able to read my Carnegie shortlist book even though we had half-term. I had to improvise. Luckily, I have a shorter book this week.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

I think the harshness is even finding 10 titles - let alone reading them

- had thought of going back to the jack stalwart series but probably a bit too young now

- gothic stuff has never floated his boat unfortunately - likes factual books about penguins and polar bears - shame Antartica has not qualified (& yes I know penguins = Antartica and bears = Artic!!)

- Tin, Tin - good one - the added bonus of an animal charachter - not quite a penguin but - - -- library here I come.

Seriously though aside from choosing a series such as that which sets stories in different places - it is a difficult challenge
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Shame its not for an 5 year old otherwise you could have used Miffy for the Netherlands!

Astrix

Nicholas St North and the battle of the nightmare king is one of the books that the rise of the guardians film was based on. The author is American and the book is set, I think, in Russia.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Alternatively could he just go for "Around the world in eighty days" and claim that covers the lot! :wink:
tense

Post by tense »

How about Mal Peet 'the keeper'? It's about the back story of a South American footballer who's played at the World Cup (not sure which exact country!). My DS read it when he was about 11/12 I think.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Just googled Mal Peet - he wrote The Keeper and The Penalty both based on a character Paul Faustino and set in South America - will def look out for that - thanks.

Nicholas St North also looks interesting

Keep 'em coming - thank you
Amber

Post by Amber »

I've no idea about football so don't know who is in the world cup I'm afraid, but Emil and the Detectives by Erich Kästner is an old but still funny German book; I don't suppose he'd want to read Pippi Longstocking (Sweden) but the Moomins (Finland) are so so wonderful even for boys I think. But I bet none of those countries is playing? If there are any African countries you must be able to find a short story about Ananse/Anansi - they are fairly pan-African.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now