Favourite/funniest/most inspirational, famous quotes!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
southbucks3

Favourite/funniest/most inspirational, famous quotes!

Post by southbucks3 »

I saw the following old favourite on a billboard as I drove into town today, it made me smile and also feel really mean as I had been a bit harsh with son number three this morning when he couldn't seem to do a maths problem that he has done many times before; he just does not really get maths bless him.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

I will repeat it to him after school, I have already apologised. :oops:

What are your favourites and maybe as we approach the test, do you have any motivational quotes that we can share with our dc?

Obviously funny ones always welcome too....I know there are some crackers from the Simpsons!
MedievalBabe

Re: Favourite/funniest/most inspirational, famous quotes!

Post by MedievalBabe »

I am running a meeting tonight and we always start with an inspirational quote or reading. Today's will be

'When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.' By Harriet Beecher Stowe.

I just feel that this sums up everything now when dd has had enough of practise papers and she has made mistakes, the strop starts, but I know next time she tries she will do better. I just hope that others feel the same.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This is my favourite.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I have a few more. When I see them crop up on FB I email them to DD. She reads her email on a random basis, so they usually turn up just at the right time.

"it's not about being the best. It's about being better than you were yesterday" might be a good one for you.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Such a sweet w.t.p.you tube clip tinkers, I emailed it to my boys, they will think I have gone soft!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

This is not one for anyone to aspire to, but... when I was at primary school we had to make a heraldic shield with our own personal motto on it. My teacher suggested mine should be "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow". I do unfortunately seem to have lived up to that one for most of my life, being the world's worst procrastinator. The rest of the family despair of me, especially DD who is very organised indeed.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Anyway my favourite quotation is from Le Petit Prince: "What is essential is invisible to the eye; it is only with the heart that one can see clearly". Just as drippy as the WTP one and just as lovely.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Tinkers wrote:Image

This is my favourite.
The whole quote is a fantastic quote, right from the "if ever there is a tomorrow.."
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

My daughter's Music Theory work yesterday reminded me of Dr Johnson's observation regarding dogs walking on their hind legs:
"It is not done well, but you are surprised to find it done at all!".
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I tend to like my African quotes:

- Wealth, if you use it, comes to an end; learning, if you use it, increases. Swahili proverb

- Hurry, hurry has no blessing - Kenyan proverb

- It takes a village to raise a child - African proverb

- Instruction in youth is like engraving in stone. Moroccan Proverb (To which my sister always adds: Instruction in Ikea is like engraving in water Swedish Proverb)

- When two elephants fight, it is the grass that gets trampled. Swahili proverb

Gosh - I have so many I had better stop....!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now