Year 5 reports

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Year 5 reports

Post by mystery »

Do you get given a level and specific comment box for Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling? We never do. It's as if the report pro-forma was put together before the advent of SPAG and not been amended?
Matrix

Re: Year 5 reports

Post by Matrix »

Hi Mystery

We didn't get any specific level for SPaG either. We received Reading, Writing, English overall, Maths and Science.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We get 2 reports a year, one in the Autumn with their levels on and predictions which is helpful when looking at 11+. The one in the summer term gives effort grades and achievement grades through the year, which is helpful for knowing how hard they have worked but useless for letting us know academically how they have been doing. The main part is a written comment for every subject.

But even in the Autumn report there is no SPAg part.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Our reports have just small essays and no levels at all. I lack the skills to match the wordings to levels. It just says Excellent progress, working above national average but that could mean nothing much. Our old school did really nice reports with all targets and sub level details.
Will I be looked as too pushy if I ask for levels/sub levels ?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Do you never get to find out nc levels then?

I would ask. And find out how they judged it in case they invented it just for you!
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

The school I used to work in gave NC levels for all years, progress during the year and targets, in addition to detailed comments. My DD's reports gives no levels at all or effort grades, but a written report for each subject. I prefer the report without grades. DD's is lovely and very positive and I am not distracted by thinking she's only level whatever and that's average or below etc. Mind you I couldn't give a monkey's what level she is at, I know she needs to read more and that will have far more effect on her future achievements.
berks_mum wrote:It just says Excellent progress, working above national average but that could mean nothing much.
That tells me quite a lot. Your child works well, has made more than a year's progress and is a high achiever.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

My problem is the old school gave us the sub levels every year from yr1 to yr4 and also a rating against each subject target so I am used to numbers. How do I quantify excellent. Does it mean 1sub level, 2 sub levels, 3 sub levels ? Mastered the skill, achieving it most of the times, achieves it sometimes ?
And what is the national average for Year 5 ? Is it 4B for year 6 ? If so, she was over it in year4(most subjects if not all) itself.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, it is very hard to interpret unless they are willing to tell you what this is code for. I would ask. If they think you are "pushy" that's their issue, not yours. They, hopefully, have some clear information on your child which, as a normal (!) parent, you will be able to understand so they should happily explain it if you show the interest to ask. They should be pleased that you are interested enough to find out. If they are not pleased, or make you feel awkward, it tells you something. Good teachers like parents who care and are interested.

Something has gone wrong if perfectly pleasant and normal parents who want to understand how their child is doing feel like they can't ask.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

berks_mum wrote:My problem is the old school gave us the sub levels every year from yr1 to yr4 and also a rating against each subject target so I am used to numbers. How do I quantify excellent. Does it mean 1sub level, 2 sub levels, 3 sub levels ? Mastered the skill, achieving it most of the times, achieves it sometimes ?
And what is the national average for Year 5 ? Is it 4B for year 6 ? If so, she was over it in year4(most subjects if not all) itself.
National average 3A/4c at end of Y5. At end of Y6 4B/4A.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

mystery wrote:Do you get given a level and specific comment box for Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling? We never do. It's as if the report pro-forma was put together before the advent of SPAG and not been amended?
No we didn't have SPAG comments. My understanding is that it was only in trial for some schools this year. Properly introduced from Sept.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now