Child Genius - New Channel 4 Programme 2014

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Peridot

Re: Child Genius - New Channel 4 Programme 2014

Post by Peridot »

Completely agree for our family sb3: just the thought of it makes me feel very tired indeed. Mind you I did manage to do a bit of the 11 plus stuff with my daughter. All I did with my son was give him £1 every time he did a paper (he didn't do many obviously :D ).

I am in awe of people who have the patience and intelligence to home educate.

Sorry I realise I have gone off topic. It's all because of the delightful Jocelyn.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Havent watched any of it. I just know it would wind me up.

However it can't be as bad as I think another program I've just seen the trailer for will be.

"Bling your baby."

One young girl was getting a spray tan. That was far more than I needed to see.

Off topic, but on the subject of home ed. I was refereeing at first lego league regional heats last year and the winning team was A group of home ed kids. All various ages. All the various judges had been impressed with them in various ways.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Was that the C14 team? They ended up going to Spain for some higher level of the competition :)

Bling your baby??? :shock:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Yes C14. I've been trying to remember their name. Didn't know they got through to the next round too.

Yes Bling your baby. I think it was beauty pageant type stuff but British. Really folks, don't go there.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Bling your baby or child genius .....exactly the same to me.....it's a weird world we live in.
Why do some parents need to prove their child is prettier, more clever, better at sport, more artistic than everybody else, in such a hugely public arena. As for the usual..."They wanted to do it".....where did they find out about it? Watching the junk in the first place accounts for some, but if it's the first time of public viewing?

The latest big trend is primary level triathlon races, how long before they make a programme about those? The parents generally involved are as competitive as you can find... :idea:
Amber

Post by Amber »

'They wanted to do it'; 'they love it' and 'it all comes from them' are arguments which wind me up badly. It's as if a three year old or whatever has surveyed the possibilities open to them in life and made a decision - ' I want to devote all my time to becoming a concert pianist/3 day eventer/mathematician etc (fill in the gaps - often sport or music related). Surely any choice made before a child is about ten is really the parents' rather than the child's? Unless you dangle these things in front of them they're not going to know about them, are they? And while I suppose the argument that you have to offer them a range of experiences to allow them to choose is a compelling one, the range you offer is conditioned by your own aspirations (and finances) and not necessarily by the nature of childhood.

I remember carting my eldest off to tennis lessons in a bit of a panic when she was about seven as parents at her school kept on to me that she would 'never master tennis' if we didn't start early- and this was already late. For six entire weeks she endured them - and I spectated with 2 small boys in tow- until we were nearly hit by a lorry on the way home and I ended up in tears thinking 'actually, I don't really care if she never masters tennis'. Th relief all round was palpable when we reclaimed our Wednesday evenings. One of the mothers was quick to remind me that I had robbed DD of the opportunity to shine. Happily some years later she found her own sports, and has managed to get to a high level in them. I think parents need to think very carefully about whose agenda and vicarious aspirations are being served by the 'opportunities' they are presenting their children. Fine line between coercion and choice when you are a tiny tot.
salsa

Post by salsa »

I was wondering the same thing. How old was Jocelyn? Old enough to be watching the program and decide to take part? I know these children are very clever, however, are they mature enough to know all the implications of a reality show?
On that note, I was approached by someone wanting my boys to do some clothes modelling. Both my husband and I immediately said no as we thought it was not appropriate for them to work. I must admit I felt flattered on their behalf. They never knew and I hope they don't turn to us in the future saying we cut their modelling career short!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

:lol: I currently force my youngest to play cricket with his bruv. Were he not to play, then he would either be babysat by his 13 year old gumbie, irresponsible bruv, or hanging around my ankles on the pavilion. He moans every single Wednesday without respite, yet to watch him playing and training you would think he was in heaven! Tonight he has a party, in his opinion the best thing about said party, is the avoidance of cricket. :lol:
I think I will continue the torture next year, simply because Wednesday pick up time would not be the same without two hours of pre cricket whingeing.

Re modelling:

Eldest boy got dragged to London for a channel 4 advert thing after I was approached following inadvertently signing a thing when we had some photos done for free at an agricultural show. (He is and always was very pretty) He had a turn around and say no, get out clause all the way, right up to the moment we walked into reception and even still then. I took him into the studios and told them I purely wanted him to see the whole process and have his pictures taken etc, but he wouldn't be able to talk or probably even smile as he could not even chat to his teachers at school. They whisked him off for an hour, spoilt him rotten and gave him back smiling and with a biscuit in his hand. He was very excited as well as nervous, still goes on about it to this day and had the added bonus of going to see the Hyde park pelicans afterwards.
The advert was about broadcasting standards complaints and how seriously they took the watershed at Ch4, they wanted a very innocent looking child, probably not a terrified one. :lol: I never saw the final product, I don't think they used him? We got paid a small amount for travel and expenses and I have a very gorgeous picture of him aged about 10.

I suppose that makes me a big fat hypocrite....I confess!
Last edited by southbucks3 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Southbucks...our kids were separated at birth, I think!

Interestingly enough, I was watching 56up last night - I suppose one of the first of the reality tv programmes to take place and one which, I find, is compelling viewing. The main focus of the episode last night was two of the main characters very strongly saying how "their parents had made them take part" and how, as soon as they had had a choice (at 15 and 21) they had opted not to take part in the programme - although, for various reasons, they had come back for this one. I think what Amber says is true - there is a difference between giving children experience of tennis/cricket/guitar lessons but it is a far wiser parent who knows when to say "ok this is not little Flossie's be all and end all" or 'this isn't working for us as a family" than one who tried to live their life through their kids.

I have not watched any of the programme as, having my stomach turned on a daily basis by competitive alpha parents, be it on the sports field, in school, or just in the local village, I could not condone or collude with the programme makers and parents involved in considering this as entertainment.

As for the baby bling one - if the programme was about people blinging up their pet monkeys of dogs, I suspect there would be universal uproar and the RSPCA or other country equivalent would get involved....but, apparently, when it is your own child, that's OK then?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

As for the baby bling one - if the programme was about people blinging up their pet monkeys of dogs, I suspect there would be universal uproar and the RSPCA or other country equivalent would get involved....but, apparently, when it is your own child, that's OK then?

Clearly you missed the pimp my poodle show a few months back...or whatever it was called. I made my shaggy standard poodles watch it with a warning that if they tried to bite the Amazon delivery man ever again they were getting the treatment...So far it has worked.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now