More easy BBQ ideas please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkers

Re: More easy BBQ ideas please

Post by Tinkers »

southbucks3 wrote:Ainsley hariot presented a bbq programme one summer eyons ago, which was truly brilliant, that summer we had the best veggie bbq food ever, but sadly have now reverted to the norm. I think there was the inevitable accompanying book, not sure about DVD though, he really brought the whole thing to life. We deffo cooked sweet potatoes on bbq from then on, much quicker than normal ones.
We met him in a pub in high wycombe once, he was here to do panto, but went to the most studenty pub in town for a beer, he was very polite and very friendly. :D

We have the book. It's pretty good.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Peridot wrote:Ooh yummy, kitty mum. Give me more details about the sweet potato/butternut parcels please! Do you cook them whole or in chunks, and if chopped up do you mix them with anything before cooking, and cook for how long...?
I just cut them into biggish wedges (don't peal), season and wrap in foil and pop in. They take a bit of cooking but have never come out too cooked! You could prob add some chilli's with them too ...
doodles

Post by doodles »

There's two both Ainsley Harriot's BBQ Bible - or something like that - and still available on A..zon. Really good.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I wouldn't let my hubby buy a gas BBQ either... :?

The only meat I pre-cook in the oven first is chicken - the rest goes straight on the barbie.

We sometimes cook corn-on-the-cob and then finish it off on the BBQ, wrapped in silver foil.

Also at the end, my kids love s'mores - melt marshmallows on a skewer over the heat,
and then squash between two chocolate digestives
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

MSC wrote:I cannot believe there is a sizzling hot thread on BBQ in this forum!!! :lol:

Hope to join you all next summer! I will start a thread on...Curry..
Yes please, MSC!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

For years now my boys have been thrusting lumps of marshmallow onto the fire on wooden skewers, I managed to resist any temptation to try, as frankly it looked disgusting, last year I broke down under pressure .....vile! What is the appeal, is it really worth all those scorched lips?

Now a flake melted into the middle of a bbq 'ed nana....that I get...bring on the squirty cream. :lol:
modernista

Post by modernista »

If you get corn with the handles on (stems) from Carribean shops, you can roast them straight on the barbie if the grill is close enough to the coals. The corn crackles and bursts. Rub with lemon dipped in salt. You will never boil corn again.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Modernista that sounds yum.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I keep looking back at this thread with the result that I am constantly hungry. Thanks all for your lovely lovely ideas.

Sb3 I have to disagree with you about toasted marshmallows. They are really yummy, but only if eaten in the dark on a French campsite. My DD is going to be extra careful when we repeat the experience this year though as she spent the whole holiday last year with a giant sugar burn on her nose from over-enthusiastic marshmallow guzzling.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

..... oooh flake in banana SB3, mmmmh brings back memories of girl guide camps. Must remember to do that for the boys when we return.
.... re gas on holidays in Spain DH was forced to use one and I didn't notice a whole lot of difference. Much easier to light on a windy day.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now