School Leaving Date

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: School Leaving Date

Post by scary mum »

This must happen a lot. Any 18 year old who has just left school and is waiting to go to uni and going away with their parents would be in this situation. And of course, and any point they could decide to change their mind and not go to uni, or defer for a year, or have to retake exams (part time). No-one can know until the results come through, or after that. I think the miss-selling thing is very pertinent.
We will all be interested to hear the outcome, Amber as we could all be in the same boat. In fact, I have a very minor claim to make for DD, who may well fall foul of similar rules.
I know that 6th form colleges (or at least one I know of) require their students to re-register between years 12 & 13 dependent on their results - I wonder if the same issue would apply?
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:. And of course, and any point they could decide to change their mind and not go to uni, or defer for a year, or have to retake exams (part time).
Teenager, change their mind? Surely not. :wink:

I will let you know, but let's say we are not holding our breath. We are, however, shopping around for an insurance policy which will unequivocally cover said family member for a replacement holiday...I sense a money spinner for someone if they haven't cottoned onto it yet.
'18 years and need insurance for 3 months? For just £lots you can join your family on holiday.'
doodles

Post by doodles »

It will be very interesting to hear what the outcome of this is Amber.

Interesting to know what happens to those who leave school at 16 to go to college are they in the same position?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber, where is your indomitable spirit? You will win this:-)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Good luck with it Amber. As it is "only" the cost of the holiday you are claiming back and not a major claim, this will hopefully increase your chances of a successful fight without too much argument on their part. Is there a definitions section anywhere within the policy document?

You have reminded me of something I must do. Dh has an annual travel policy, a work perk, which covers the whole family. He tends to assume everything is covered but when I ask to read the policy document he never produces it.

When you buy holiday insurance I find it annoying you often cannot read the full policy until you have purchased the policy. At least then there is a standard 14 day rescind period if it is not what you wanted.

That hmrc definition of full-time education linked to here would appear to exclude some degree courses if taken at face value. I am pretty sure that in my day some arts degrees at Oxbridge would have fallen outside the full time definition (12 hours per week) as lectures were not compulsory and tutorial hours per week were very low, unless the vague phrase "supervised study" helps out.

"Full-time education" does seem to get bandied around a bit too casually really. Scarily, my dh's divorce settlement says he pays child maintenance until each child leaves full-time education. If this covers university and they choose to be perpetual students it could be awkward. As no parent has a duty to provide for their child beyond 18 and the child is legally an adult, users of this phrase need to be more careful about defining it and giving some examples of what they include / exclude.

Your policy does sound in your favour though as the para Sally quotes makes it clear that they do normally consider it possible for university up to 23 to be considered full time education; so they are not trying to define leaving school or sixth form college as the end of full time education.

The paragraph Sally quoted is rather useful. Is she your solicitor?!

I think you are entitled to child tax credit and benefit over the summer before uni and not to job seekers allowance so this should help if you have the relevant references to quote.

Does your daughter have uni offers you can send as proof of her intention to go this September? She will have a legal obligation to the top offer uni if she makes the grade on results day ( very soon!).

All in all, I think with the para Sally has quoted they don't have much of a leg to stand on. But your daughter has one (one only by the sounds of it).
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

mystery wrote:The paragraph Sally quoted is rather useful. Is she your solicitor?!
More like the family dog really. A terrier perhaps? :D
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Sally-Anne wrote:
mystery wrote:The paragraph Sally quoted is rather useful. Is she your solicitor?!
More like the family dog really. A terrier perhaps? :D
:lol: :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sounds like you don't think much of Amber's cooking then - or does she only let you lick the crumbs off the floor?
Amber

Post by Amber »

The school has confirmed today that for legal purposes a Year 13 is registered and considered to be a pupil until 31 August. I think that is all I need to know and I shall pursue the claim on that basis.

I will let you know what happens; thank you all for your advice and support.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

More importantly Amber, did she get what she wanted?? :-)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now