Epidural experiences

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2Girlsmum

Re: Epidural experiences

Post by 2Girlsmum »

DD2 was 9lbs 6oz with head over the 100th centile and bark to back. I was just over 40. They didn't offer a c-section as the (well-known London teaching hospital) actively push (no pun intended) the old fashioned way and back it up with natural birthing suite etc.
Last edited by 2Girlsmum on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Oh gosh 2girlsmum! But I bet your recovery was quicker.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

MamaBear wrote:Hi, I'm expecting baby no4 and I thought I'd have an epidural after previously only having gas and air with the other 3.

What is it like?!
I had one with DD it was fine, she was back to back and it was so much better than the sheer agony I was going through without one. I even got to have a little sleep after 24hours of being awake. No long lasting effects. Thank goodness for modern science, good luck !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

That is so good to hear sunshine11 and thank you.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Had epidural with DS1. It was given too late in the process, slowed it down and led to internal tearing. Hanging around waiting for the consultant to stitch me up mean't he wasn't put to my breast and that led to feeding problems.

I vowed never to have one again. Ds2 and Ds 3 were 5 hour labours on gas and air. Ds3,he of the enormous head, was damn painful and was seriously debating whether to have a 4th.

Ds 4 popped out so fast I was still debating whether I was actually in labour half an hour before and feeling a right idiot for going in to the hospital when I should have known better. Even the mid-wife was having doubts. 1/4 of an hour later I requested some paracetamol but by the time it arrived I said forget that give me the gas and air took two puffs and hei presto there he was. Dh was gobsmacked at the speed and truth be told think it was my knickers keeping him in. Despite being pretty big, 9 lb 10 but thankfully a week early, the small head made all the difference. Also gave birth in different position which also helped I think.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Congratulations, OP! :D

Can't comment personally on epidural experiences as I've never had one but this thread does intrigue me as I'm about to give birth very soon.

Epidural experiences vary. I mean, a close relative of ours had an epidural for her first child and didn't have any complications afterwards. But having said that, a friend (it was also her 1st labour) warned me against taking one many moons ago, as she suffered back pain for a year after it.

You still have time to consider various options. A friend gave me a Helios Kit which I used for ds1. With hindsight, I believe it helped to a certain degree considering the fact that his labour was horribly long (over 18 hrs), plus he was in distress which meant strapping me down to a monitor which intensified the pain :( But my recovery was fast.

Have you tried a birthing pool? Water does take the edge of the contractions. Tbh, having a home birth for dc5, in a tub was the most 'enjoyable' labour out of the 5- if labour can be enjoyable :lol: . The only difficulty was pushing him out (he was a whopping 9lb at 38.5 weeks), so understandable really.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Tolstoy: I'm glad ds4 was a quick labour. You have addressed one of the worries that I had about the epidural not kicking in fast enough. You must do another post about what its like having four sons! I bet its fun in your house. I love having two boys.

Congratulations to you diy mum! How long do you have left?
I wanted a water birth for my dc3 (my heaviest baby at 9.5lbs) but because I was induced I wasn't allowed one. I think I'm a bit traumatized still after her birth, so the idea of a pain free labour sounds heavenly.
Congrats once again!
Amber

Post by Amber »

I feel very old.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:I feel very old.
Me too! Mind you 6 children sounds like a lot if I understood DIYmum correctly. I can't imagine it :roll:
scary mum
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Not looked at other replies. had elective (planned) c section for twins. No hassle at all, was up and walking later that afternoon with catheter out. Partly by necessity rather thn choice I was attending to the twins and walking them around from night one and at home I was carrying, picking up and coping absolutely fine within 2 days. Just be careful getting out of bed - it can give you a shock with a cramping pain if you put strain on stomach as you swing your legs out. But absolutely no hassle.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now