Motivation

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
worrier

stroppy girls

Post by worrier »

Here's another point of view.

Your daughter sounds a lot like mine, who is a year older. With the benefit of hindsight I think you are right to start now because you need to take it easy at first.

Explain that if she wants to go to her preferred school she will need to practice for the tests regularly. Set aside one or two half hour 11+ sessions per week and stick with them. Only cancel or postpone for illness or parties. Have something prepared in advance for each session. To begin with choose stuff that she will find easy or fun. Finish after 20mins occasionally.

This is the hard part. You have to be enthusiastic, even when you're not feeling that way. Instead of "It's time for 11+..." say "Come and sit next to me...". Answer complaints of "it's not fair" with "I think you will be good at this". Ignore whinging whilst giving encouragment, praise, you know what I mean. Have a hot chocolate together while you working. I had a box of special 11+ chocolates which only came out after practice sessions!

After a while, the complaints will lessen (I'm not promising that they will stop!) as practice sessions will become an accepted part of her routine and THEN the real work can begin. Nearer the exams you can increase the frequency or length of sessions - whatever suits you best.

I hope you find something that works for you.
crazyjaney

Post by crazyjaney »

I very much appreciate your responses. It's really useful to me to get the opinions and advice of others as it's not a topic that's readily discussed at the school gate. I think a change of approach may be the answer.. certainly worth a try. It's hard somethimes to approach things differently even tho' you're aware at some level that's what probably needed.

I really don't think it's too soon... Lots of her classmates started tuition in yr 3 and a few in year 2!! It's always the competition you've got to pit yourself against isn't it?

We are not in Bucks... live in West Mids. and whilst several children from our local area do attain grammar sch. places, very few get into the King Edward Foundation schools becuse the test is so tough... that's what we're aiming for.

Thanks again for sharing your personal experiences... it is a comfort.
StroudieDad

Post by StroudieDad »

crazyjaney wrote:I really don't think it's too soon... Lots of her classmates started tuition in yr 3 and a few in year 2!! It's always the competition you've got to pit yourself against isn't it?
Very scary. I'm sure that goes on round here in Gloucestershire for those who want to get into Pates in Cheltenham. But we'll plump for our local grammar - 15 mins walk in the morning (25 in the afternoon - we're on a hill). We want our daughter to walk to school and make friends on the way, both from her school, the boys school next door and the local comp 10 mins further on. There are some mad people who ship their children to her school from Swindon & Bristol, but to me, that's plain stupid - ruins the childrens social life. We'd prefer her to go to the local comp rather than have a long journey each day (wherever she ends up, she'll be happy & do well).

And then some of our friends moved house to Stratford-upon-Avon from Banbury when their daughter passed the 11+...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now