Plastic folders for each subject

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Plastic folders for each subject

Post by ToadMum »

On the plastic folder front, I noticed today that our local friendly sub-PO sells 'Tiger Tuff Bags' in an 'A4+' size. These look quite good and advertise themselves as being waterproof, suitable for swimming - :?: - amongst other things. We've never gone down the 'separate folder for every subject' route, but I may treat DD and DS2 to one or two each for the purposes of keeping their exercise books a bit less battered in their backpacks.

Or as replacement swimming bags :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

ToadMum wrote: We've never gone down the 'separate folder for every subject' route, but I may treat DD and DS2 to one or two each for the purposes of keeping their exercise books a bit less battered in their backpacks.
I have never done it either, and mine probably wouldn't use them even if I did. I never cease to marvel on this forum at how biddable and cooperative other people's children must be. If I bought such things I would be taking them back the next day. :?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DD cooperated for 3 years (see other thread - she had to). At the time of the other thread I had bought them for DS1 but they were never used. I didn't bother with DS2 (and didn't take them back so still have them somewhere).
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD uses them for a couple of subjects, German and maths, where she has several items needed.
The maths one has her two exercise books (not sure why they need two, but they do), text book, calculator and geometry set. She says it's easy to get everything g in and out of her bag and ensures she doesn't forget anything.

Other subjects she doesn't bother.

I bought them and offered them up. It was left up to her as to whether she used them or not.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

DD would have scraps of papers all over the place if it wasn't for her A4 subject plastic folders. Keeps it all together for her, no drink spillages spoiling exercise books and no routing around in the depths of her very big bag searching for books as each folder has an arty sticker with subject name on. Her friends thought it seemed like a good idea - I know more students in her class now have them.

*Packs of 3 coloured ones for 89p from Al**
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Thanks countrymum!
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

You're welcome :D

Ha ha can you tell I am a big fan of them! Her yr 7 ones have just about had it so am looking forward to getting some more. We had jazzy/patterned ones at 99p each last year as it was her first year, so they had to be special. Going for the cheaper/plain ones this year as needs about 12! She has a nice boxy sized one for maths as that has a big text book and her maths equipment etc in it as well.

Note to self: Need to get out more...
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Amber wrote:
ToadMum wrote: We've never gone down the 'separate folder for every subject' route, but I may treat DD and DS2 to one or two each for the purposes of keeping their exercise books a bit less battered in their backpacks.
I have never done it either, and mine probably wouldn't use them even if I did. I never cease to marvel on this forum at how biddable and cooperative other people's children must be. If I bought such things I would be taking them back the next day. :?
I know my ds will not use them based on my 7 years of him at primary when I always put homework / notes etc in a plastic folder which he steadfastly refused to acknowledge the existence of let alone use (dd is also adopting this policy). DS is currently giving lipservice to the fact that my plan is a "good idea" but I know that he wont use it - if he puts the Google Chromebook into the waterproof cover it'll be a miracle. I however LOVE stationary shopping - this is quite possibly the most fun I've ever had since he started school and so I'm not going to let a little matter such as his compliance get in the way of my fun - seriously this is my idea of heaven which could only be topped by something like organising a cataloguing system in a library :lol: (yes I am *that* dull!).
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Ooh southbucks3 we had a lovely week helping DD decorate books as well, we raided old maps from holiday destinations, the Sunday papers and other magazines, cutting and sticking heaven! I have to admit to total hopelessness on the sbp front however, and defer to DH "he who makes no bubbles". Grrrh.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Seriously, we're back in sticky back plastic land?? I didn't realise this still went on!! I don't know whether to be dismayed or fabulously excited! In 'my day' sticky back plastic was clearly £250 per linear foot as I was never allowed it, it was an exotic holy grail that I never managed to track down.........so it was always wallpaper, often anaglypta (sp?) which made for a very bulky exercise book.

So, joking aside, am I indulging in modern SBP (glitter was they same, always thought it was £100 a pot and now so cheap I love it. Oh, and kitchen roll.) or wallpaper? Or will wallpaper be just too shaming for DSs to contemplate?