Ugh, getting rid of books when each feels like a baby

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Ugh, getting rid of books when each feels like a baby

Post by Yamin151 »

Back to school here and I'm lonely!!! This is new feeling for me! Used to breathe sigh of relief, and still am, to a degree, but whether its sentiment about them growing up or just the longer hours they are out of the house (and I launch them onto buses or shared car, not deliver into the classroom!) I am nevertheless feeling the emptiness of the house. I would say its echoing, the emptiness, but its not as my housekeeping, always shoddy, has gone to **** in a handcart and I really need to get a grip!
In an effort to make more space for other cr*p, sorry, the stuff we need to store, I need to face the torment of getting rid of books. Starting on DS2s room. Of course I will check with the boys what they are happy for me to offload to charity, but does anyone else still struggle with casting out the Shirley Hughes or Hairy McClarys or Guess How Much I Love Yous? Is it just me? I am allowing myself to keep one pile (grandchildren, honestly, it makes perfect sense), but that pile is nearing the ceiling now!
Then there are all the lovely reference books and other tomes that just scream "keep me" or "remember me!".
There are even some of MY childhood books in there. I was lucky enough to grow up in a house where all books could be accommodated and even now, my parents house is a big old rambling vicarage bursting at the seams with books, a collection which is never reduced, but we simply do not have the room here!
So, how do you control the sentiment whilst allowing yourself the odd memory.
And also, do you cut out the message you wrote in the book if you are giving it to charity? I always find those really sad if I see them in the flyleaf of a book I've acquired.
Fiction I've read and unlikely to read again, no problem by the way. Cookery books........hmmmmmmm

Back to work.....!
MamaBear

Re: Ugh, getting rid of books when each feels like a baby

Post by MamaBear »

I love my Shirley Hughes, Jill Murphy books etc but my boys have treated them so roughly (pages torn, covers missing) I have no choice but to get rid of them. They have a two year old sister and I was hoping she would get a chance to read them, (some of the books are not so readily available now) but there you go
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Can you store them in your parents' house, if they've the room? I can't get rid of any of that stuff. I even keep "Hug!" in my study ...
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

fatbananas wrote:Can you store them in your parents' house, if they've the room? I can't get rid of any of that stuff. I even keep "Hug!" in my study ...
LOL! Love the idea of sneaking them back there, but, not to put too fine a point on it, that is simply deferring the problem I think.......... :?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

MamaBear wrote:I love my Shirley Hughes, Jill Murphy books etc but my boys have treated them so roughly (pages torn, covers missing) I have no choice but to get rid of them. They have a two year old sister and I was hoping she would get a chance to read them, (some of the books are not so readily available now) but there you go
Oh yes, Jill Murphy, is she 5 minutes peace etc? Awwww, love that book.
Some seriously dog eared ones are still too precious to chuck, I'm hopeless! :oops:
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Yamin151 wrote:
fatbananas wrote:Can you store them in your parents' house, if they've the room? I can't get rid of any of that stuff. I even keep "Hug!" in my study ...
LOL! Love the idea of sneaking them back there, but, not to put too fine a point on it, that is simply deferring the problem I think.......... :?
My father always used to say to me 'why do today, what you can put off until tomorrow' ... Or something like that :wink:
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

fatbananas wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:
My father always used to say to me 'why do today, what you can put off until tomorrow' ... Or something like that :wink:
Love 'em to bits and wouldn't have them any other way but regarding clearing up clutter, that must be my parents mantra. My sisters will kill me if I add to it, its going to be a huge job as it is (long may that day be in coming of course :( )
doodles

Post by doodles »

You see I solved this problem by retraining as an EY teacher and taking them to work with me.....problem solved :shock:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

doodles wrote:You see I solved this problem by retraining as an EY teacher and taking them to work with me.....problem solved :shock:
Ooh, address please doodles, I might just have a few bootfuls of books for you...........! :wink: :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Mmmmm, sounds like their longer days have given you more time Yamin, how about volunteering in a library or listening to children read with the strict understanding that you DON'T bring any books home :lol: :lol: