Ugh, getting rid of books when each feels like a baby

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Re: Ugh, getting rid of books when each feels like a baby

Post by Yamin151 »

doodles wrote:Mmmmm, sounds like their longer days have given you more time Yamin, how about volunteering in a library or listening to children read with the strict understanding that you DON'T bring any books home :lol: :lol:
I don't think you have understood how bad my house is just now - maybe next year!!!!

http://mylifeandkids.com/wp-content/upl ... losion.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doodles

Post by doodles »

That's nothing!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

doodles wrote:That's nothing!
Amateur am I? Must make more effort!
doodles

Post by doodles »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Absolute beginner!

Am in the middle of the post holiday pre-back to work blitz but need to fight my way out from under the ironing pile and spend less time on here!
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

Don't get rid of them all to the charity shop! Keep say 10 precious books? I have spent ridiculous sums buying favourite childhood books that are now out of print and then locking myself away to read them in a massive nostalgia fest.
It takes a village to raise a child
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

MamaBear wrote:I love my Shirley Hughes, Jill Murphy books etc
We drove boxes of ours to a charity shop in Hounslow in the hopes that they will help a child who is learning English as well as learning to read.

You could also donate them to a primary school library or to someone who teaches a suitable class. Dump any that are in poor nick though.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Son number three would rather donate his right arm to charity than his Donaldson books, in fact he recently bought himself superworm to "add to my collection."
The same child is reading Marjorie Blackman novels! I suppose that is his equivalent to me reading the occasional sad rag? :oops: Easy, entertaining, with lots of fun pictures to look at.

I cannot bear to throw away our "see how they grow" collection. :roll: loft clutter! Son number two has a box of Thomas the tank stories hidden in the eaves and a Mr man set, son number one refuses to part with several years worth of very dog eared ripleys.

As for me, last year I treated myself to "the mischievous kitten" which had been my very favourite nursery book, the sight, smell, texture of it when I opened the parcel was simply wonderful, like climbing back into my mother's lap.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

southbucks3 wrote:Son number three would rather donate his right arm to charity than his Donaldson books, in fact he recently bought himself superworm to "add to my collection."
The same child is reading Marjorie Blackman novels! I suppose that is his equivalent to me reading the occasional sad rag? :oops: Easy, entertaining, with lots of fun pictures to look at.

I cannot hear to throw away our "see how they grow" collection. :roll: loft clutter! Son number two has a box of Thomas the tank stories hidden in the eaves and a Mr man set, son number one refuses to part with several years worth of very dog eared ripleys.

As for me, last year I treated myself to "the mischievous kitten" which had been my very favourite nursery book, the sight, smell, texture of it when I opened the parcel was simply wonderful, like climbing back into my mother's lap.
Awww that's sweet, I have many favourites and as a girl I returned again and again to Mallory towers etc. As an adult I like a trashy read occasionally too. Wh get both boys to read us the old faves so they certainly won't be going.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

This thread has made me buy books for my nieces. Night Monkey Day Monkey, Monkey Puzzle and The Magic Paintbrush by Julia Donaldson were favourites when mine were little. I've just bought 2 copies of each. One is celebrating her first birthday next week and the other is getting hers for Christmas (just in case they're not available in December :oops: ).
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

You can be really upset by what I say. But we have recently disposed of all books as everything available on ereader which comes with dictionary and instant touch for a dictionary. And we all use them off one account which means we have access to the entire family library. I have kept some of the picture books, such as dear zoo, which we read to them as children but all the rest have gone.