Bedtime/get up time in Y7

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aliportico

Re: Bedtime/get up time in Y7

Post by aliportico »

We are mostly owls rather than larks by natural inclination, and my y7 is now having to get up at 6.15am. She's not loving that. I've been trying to encourage her to go to bed at 8, and then lights out and no screens from 8.30 and she's asleep by 9. She could probably do with a little bit longer, and has taken herself off earlier a couple of times, but it's hard to fit everything in to manage that every day.
moved

Post by moved »

Mine has been trying but is still adorable! :lol:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

moved wrote:Mine has been trying but is still adorable! :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Aren't they all?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

aliportico wrote:We are mostly owls rather than larks by natural inclination, and my y7 is now having to get up at 6.15am. She's not loving that. I've been trying to encourage her to go to bed at 8, and then lights out and no screens from 8.30 and she's asleep by 9. She could probably do with a little bit longer, and has taken herself off earlier a couple of times, but it's hard to fit everything in to manage that every day.

Mine always got up early but the lack of 'navel gazing' time before school and the later finish/homework combo is a real shock! As some have mentioned, it's getting the balance between time to do clubs, homework and relax, and enough opportunity to sleep!
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Ds has always been an early riser too, when he was small we found him downstairs playing CBeebies on the computer and he had been up for several hours doing it, this was at 6ish. We had to buy him a clock which had a rabbit which indicated sleep time and wake time, which over time meant he also learnt to tell the time with no extra support.

Now he is up every morning before 6.30am, which is general getting up time, ready for school by 7am and jumping on the spot whilst he waits for the time he can leave. He goes to bed anywhere between 8.30 and 9.30pm depending upon the day (Scouts finishing after 9pm on a school night) and it seems to have no effect on him. At weekends he is to allowed to get up before 7am, but in he last few weeks he is starting to actually lie in, awake but still in bed.

I am dreading next year with DD, she likes to lie in bed and gets grumpy when overtired easily. It will depend upon which school she goes too, but if she is leaving with DS I can see arguments most mornings.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

MedievalBabe wrote:Ds has always been an early riser too, when he was small we found him downstairs playing CBeebies on the computer and he had been up for several hours doing it, this was at 6ish. We had to buy him a clock which had a rabbit which indicated sleep time and wake time, which over time meant he also learnt to tell the time with no extra support.

Now he is up every morning before 6.30am, which is general getting up time, ready for school by 7am and jumping on the spot whilst he waits for the time he can leave. He goes to bed anywhere between 8.30 and 9.30pm depending upon the day (Scouts finishing after 9pm on a school night) and it seems to have no effect on him. At weekends he is to allowed to get up before 7am, but in he last few weeks he is starting to actually lie in, awake but still in bed.

I am dreading next year with DD, she likes to lie in bed and gets grumpy when overtired easily. It will depend upon which school she goes too, but if she is leaving with DS I can see arguments most mornings.
At the age of 2, DS1 used to get up at 5.10 several mornings a week - his room was on the party wall with the house next door, which is an HMO, and over the shared porch and I think he was being woken up by whichever resident went out to work at that time :roll: . He is still pretty good at getting up early when he needs to - significantly better than DD, whom we have to force out of bed 20 minutes earlier than him on schooldays to make sure that she is just about ready to leave at the same time as him for the train.

Both are allowed to be more or less self-regulating with regards to bedtime; DS1 tends to get distracted and end up going to bed at about midnight but both of them will take themselves off upstairs early if they feel they need the extra sleep.

DS2 - year 7 - has an absolute cut-off of 9.30pm for bed, but again will take himself off earlier if he feels the need. He is also quite good at getting up and ready in the morning, so gets up at the same time as DD - 6.40am - even though he goes out about 20 minutes before her for his bus.

All of ours have after school activities - swimming lessons / Scouts / cricket - on various nights, so again, bedtimes have to allow for these and for getting homework done.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now