Test Your Vocab

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Test Your Vocab

Post by Sally-Anne »

I stumbled upon this fascinating website yesterday http://testyourvocab.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(while surfing the Economist website http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/ ... ulary-size" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

My score is 34,100 words. I found it interesting that the final question asked was whether I read much fictional literature. The answer is that I don't, but maybe I should?!

So, your score ...?
mike1880

Re: Test Your Vocab

Post by mike1880 »

39,700. Quoting from the results breakdown page:
Now, remember that these percentiles are not for the population as a whole, but rather just those who have taken the test online. Comparing with self-reported SAT scores from previous analysis, overall participation is in roughly the 98th percentile of the American population as a whole — it is apparently a very "elite" group of people who spend their time taking vocabulary tests on the Internet!
Probably also a very "bored" group of people...
Amber

Post by Amber »

All I get when I click that link is an invitation to subscribe to the magazine and a reminder that I have reached my article limit. So I guess I don't even get to join your 'elite' little club, Sally-Anne and Mike.

Score= 0 (disqualified)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I got 32,500, answering very honestly, and do you know what? I'm chuffed to little bits with that. It puts me on the 80th percentile. As I wasn't educated higher than CSE level (I have no O /A levels or degrees) but I do care an awful lot about education and am somewhat self taught, it aint so bad :lol:

PS: Amber, you need to click on the first link for it to work.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:All I get when I click that link is an invitation to subscribe to the magazine and a reminder that I have reached my article limit. So I guess I don't even get to join your 'elite' little club, Sally-Anne and Mike.

Score= 0 (disqualified)

probably can delete your cookies and start again
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I've edited my post to make it clearer which link is which.

I almost wonder if one or two of the later words are made up, and the system flashes "CHEAT" at you if you claim to recognise them!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Ah Ok. I still can't do it though as I have carpal tunnel syndrome and all that clicking with the mouse hurts too much. I definitely would give up before I got to 39k words.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

30,200. :cry:

Lots of noise and distractions in the exam room, do you think I have grounds for an appeal? :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Don't worry Steve, mine was 29,000. I had the dog climbing on my lap though. Would that swing an appeal ?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Amber wrote:Ah Ok. I still can't do it though as I have carpal tunnel syndrome and all that clicking with the mouse hurts too much. I definitely would give up before I got to 39k words.
There's nothing like 39k words to click on!

It generates your score from two pages of around 50 words and a few drop down boxes on the final page.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now