Test Your Vocab

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
southbucks3

Re: Test Your Vocab

Post by southbucks3 »

doodles wrote:Apparently pule cheese is the world's most expensive, being made from the milk of Balkan donkeys :shock: :?

Well would you want to milk a donkey, they are not known to be too tolerant.....ouch.... :shock:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://testyourvocab.com/details" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very interesting details of which words were excluded.

I got 38,400 - not bad for a mathematician who is known for using a phrase where other would write an essay. :lol:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Wasn't going to post but now I can't resist – 38,500 – sorry Guest55!

All down to knowing tatterdemalion, which I only know from reading Marvel comics all through my teenage years (there's a super-villain by that name, a tramp). And to think my father said I'd never amount to anything 'reading that rubbish' :lol:

The one I hadn't heard of before but really like is epigone.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Rob I would have expected your vocab to far exceed mine; I was amazed at my score.
Amber

Post by Amber »

moved wrote:I did know pule but only from French. I have a puling dog.
The people next door to me will have a dead dog soon if the damn thing doesn't stop puling in the night.

I note that 3 out of the 4 top scorers on here are men. This does not necessarily accord with my experience of the Real World. Do we suspect cheating, girls? :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:. And to think my father said I'd never amount to anything 'reading that rubbish' :lol: .
If only he'd known then that 40 years later you'd ace a test of arcane and obscure vocabulary on an 11+ exams forum he'd never have said that, would he? :wink:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

re men cheating..a bit harsh! :lol:
You know they "think" they know the way somewhere and end up pulling the map or sat nav out when you are truly lost....perhaps they genuinely thought they knew the definitions, so ticked the box. Whereas if I only thought I knew the definition, but couldn't be confident I didn't tick the box, but looked it up later and confirmed most of the time that.............I was right to not tick, I didn't know it! :lol:

Rob, dh knew taterdemalion too...same reason, a whole generation of men educated by a comic and scary Steven king thrillers, can we learn something from this?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:
moved wrote:I did know pule but only from French. I have a puling dog.
The people next door to me will have a dead dog soon if the damn thing doesn't stop puling in the night.

I note that 3 out of the 4 top scorers on here are men. This does not necessarily accord with my experience of the Real World. Do we suspect cheating, girls? :wink:
I couldn't possibly comment :)
I do think it's easy to click on a word because you've heard it, rather than actually being able to define it (there were some I'd really never even seen before, and I consider myself reasonably widely read!).
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:I do think it's easy to click on a word because you've heard it, rather than actually being able to define it (there were some I'd really never even seen before, and I consider myself reasonably widely read!).
I clicked only if I would know how to use it, which maybe was not what was intended. Some, like mammon, I think one would intuitively click, and then think, 'hold on, is that a reference to breasts, beasts or cuts of processed meat?' And captious looks like capacious spelled wrong so those knowing capacious might not be captious enough to spot captious. Etc. I read masses and masses, but like moved don't read the kind of stuff these words would crop up in.

It is a silly test, of course - comprehension of words in context would be better and most of the ones on there are totally useless. But a bit of fun, even if I have to have my wrist strapped again today after all that clicking.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Until you have owned call ducks (thank you ds 3) You have never heard a creature pule quite so consistently, should I not put the right food out, the chickens eat their food, their paddling pool water is dirty, they want some lettuce or heaven forbid there is any kind of vehicle parked near the garden they pule, the neighbours must want to kill them because to be honest we do! The worst thing is ds3 has grown oblivious to their cries, He only really sorts out the problem when we threaten to stretch their necks.

I agree Amber, the test was fun, thank you Sally Anne.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now