Test Your Vocab

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mad?

Re: Test Your Vocab

Post by mad? »

mike1880 wrote:If you read the background they exclude words from the test for all sorts of reasons including archaism. But we all still use "caitiff" on a daily basis obviously... 8)
I didn't know that one :oops:
mad?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Couldn't remember inveigle, DH just said cajole straight away (I didn't tick it!)
I got that one purely because it's always popping up in history magazine. :lol:

I too have no idea what the last list of words meant really, I knew the old fuddy duddy words though....dh will absolutely trounce me, he reads Stephen kings books, notorious for flashy vocab, huge historical novels and is a regular radio four story time listener. I probably subliminally absorbed half my vocab from watching rumpole and the other half from dh!

I agree with sd....I do not use most of the vocab I know, which is probably a shame.

Now I have looked up caitiff I really want to know how to pronounce it properly and use it on the next toerag with a nasty dog I meet when out walking my girls.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Tinkers wrote:27700

I was always better at maths, and I'm never one to use long words when short ones will do.

DH has just did it and got 39100. I am officially sulking.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Tinkers wrote:
Tinkers wrote:27700

I was always better at maths, and I'm never one to use long words when short ones will do.

DH has just did it and got 39100. I am officially sulking.
:lol: :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

35,000 for me but surely some of them aren't even words. I reckon they are plants to stop you cheating!!
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

And now I need to go and look up all those words that I didn't know
I think I'd like to raise an appeal - surely it would be a more accurate test if you had to click on the meanings from a multi choice list?
It takes a village to raise a child
Amber

Post by Amber »

moved wrote:35800 but golly what a lot I either have forgotten with the lack of reading these days or never knew. I tend to read academic / educational journals.:
Yeah, see what it's done for us, moved. If only epistemology, ontology, hegemony, positivism etc had been in there - we'd have been well away. I do rather like pule though - that is a new one on me and I may have to start using it.
Couldn't remember inveigle
You obviously don't have a cat.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Amber wrote:You obviously don't have a cat.
:lol:

The meaning of "inveigle" is expressed perfectly here (and in many other hilarious videos): Simon's Cat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s13dLaTI ... DsD--nXkel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Disclaimer: I do not have a cat!)
moved

Post by moved »

I did know pule but only from French. I have a puling dog.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Apparently pule cheese is the world's most expensive, being made from the milk of Balkan donkeys :shock: :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now