Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:04 am 

Prompted by a post I have read where the child leaves before 7am and gets home after 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:10 am 

The semi-official line on this is a 90 minute journey for a child of Secondary age.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:39 am 

Hi Sally-Anne.. Surely it's official or it's not?? :-). And really I was just interested in peoples opinion, I will quite happily say I think anything more than 45 minutes is too much..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:44 am 

I'd agree with you Stroudy Dad but add 'if the journey involves rolling out of bed onto a bus that goes directly to school/walking' etc etc. If the journey is more complex, involving changes of transport mode etc then I would say less than that, as this would involve multiple opportunities to be let down by the means of transport rather than just one. In London, I would also want alternative routes for when the buses/trains/tubes are on strike or when the traffic is gridlocked.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:32 pm 

Sally-Anne wrote:
The semi-official line on this is a 90 minute journey for a child of Secondary age.
Round trip or one-way? Sounds like far too long to me. The shorter the better is my view. Ask any commuter how much they enjoy their daily journeys.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:13 pm 

Note the words:
      "as a general guide",
      "these should be regarded as the maximum", and
      "the maximum distances will depend on a range of circumstances".

Quote:
Suitability of arrangements
34. As a general guide, transport arrangements should not require a child to make several changes on public transport resulting in an unreasonably long journey time. Best practice suggests that the maximum each way length of journey for a child of primary school age to be 45 minutes and for secondary school age 75 minutes, but these should be regarded as the maximum .....
Quote:
35. Consideration should also be given to the walking distance required in order to access public transport. The maximum distances will depend on a range of circumstances, including the age of the child, their individual needs and the nature of the routes .....

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... idance.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:15 pm 

Memo to me: Stay on Bucks today; do not attempt to apply limited brain cells to anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:26 pm 

Basically, if they cannot cycle it without stopping for a rest break, then it's too far. That's my rules...and I'm sticking to it. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:44 pm 

As a commuter and someone who has commuted with a small child. If the journey is a long seated journey with no changes, it is almost therapeutic. Lots of changes are stressful esp when changes are between transport modes and involve roads where you need to be alert.
I read somewhere commuters on familiar routes will fall into a state os hypnosis i.e. they relax so much they dont know where they are at a given moment in time but will get off and change instinctively.
You have to balance what additional advantages the child will get at a further school to the negatives additional stress and recouperation time required. Make the journey yourself. I decided against it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:48 pm 

Sally-Anne wrote:
Memo to me: Stay on Bucks today; do not attempt to apply limited brain cells to anything else.

:-)