What next, after Minecraft for a tech savvy, creative Yr 9?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Eccentric

Re: What next, after Minecraft for a tech savvy, creative Yr

Post by Eccentric »

Like others I would highly recommend Python. It is the code that was used to develop Google. My year 7 daughter has been going to coding club at school and absolutely loves it. It stretches her logic brain. She loves the fact that there is a direct creation between her commands and what happens. Scratch is a bit basic but helpful at learning how code works. It is not so flexible as Python though. Carol Vorderman has written a great book on Computer coding that gives instruction for both Scratch and Python 3. It is well written and extremely easy to grasp (the format is much like Help your kids with maths).

Python is free to download https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-342/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to my daughter there are loads of tutorials on Khan academy
meerme

Post by meerme »

DC17C wrote:Thank you I will see if that helps. DD has just found out she will be doing computing GCSE as there was some concern it might not run if not enough takers. Relieved the school has decided to run it for the 13 girls who want to do it. :)
If she likes Gimp, she might like all these (put together by a local grammar school).

The Raspberry Pi is a good idea too ... and those starting Y7 in Sept, anywhere in the UK, will be getting a free Pi equivalent (courtesy the BBC).
Last edited by meerme on Wed May 06, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 spends hours in the school library playing with Scratch and intends to move on to Python. I found a book in WHSmith which had both in, which he says is quite helpful. I did some pretty basic programming (BBC Basic actually :lol: ) at university but that was over 30 years ago and it seemed to be very much trial and error on everyone's part - and before Guest55 pops up to tell me it's 'trial and improvement', let me say it definitely wasn't...

BTW am I the only person boggling a bit at the idea of letting one's offspring loose on something called 'Gimp'???
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

Um...why is this in pastoral care?

Just saying... :oops:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Well spotted Amber. Seat belts on while I move you all to Everything Else
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

ToadMum wrote:BTW am I the only person boggling a bit at the idea of letting one's offspring loose on something called 'Gimp'???
No TM :shock:

JD
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now