Cancellation of an inset day.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

Cancellation of an inset day.

Post by Minesatea »

Is there any guidelines that specify the notice peroid schools should give parents re the dates of inset days?
One of my DCs schools has recently changed the date of an inset day that was originally secuduled for the beginning of January. Many parents are angry as they had arranged holidays from which they will now not get back in time or trips to pantos ect. They are now left with the choice of cancelling or accepting the unauthorised absence. Do we have any rights to complain or can schools do this?
999 mum

Re: Cancellation of an inset day.

Post by 999 mum »

Minesatea wrote:One of my DCs schools has recently changed the date of an inset day that was originally secuduled for the beginning of January.
I would write a letter to the school advising the school that the child would not be present on that date, due to the fact that certain plans had been made based on the information that the school had previously provided.

I would also include a copy of where I had received the information (about the inset day).

I would not accept an unauthorised absence and I would inform the school that I would make a written complaint to the governors if that was the route they were going to take. (This reaction would depend on the response that was received from the school.)
KB

Re: Cancellation of an inset day.

Post by KB »

Agree with the above.
When something similar happened at 'our' school the head 'honoured' holiday commitments by parents made on the back of the original information given to us.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now