Advice for first car and insurance for 17 year old

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
logic32

Advice for first car and insurance for 17 year old

Post by logic32 »

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone would have advice on cars for me. I know there have been posts in the past about insurance for first time drivers etc.

Very quick backstory and trying not to have a pity party for myself ! Unfortunately my husband and I separated in September and he has moved 200 miles away and not seen my two teenagers since which is such a shock to all of us. But basically there is no communication at all and I am completely clueless about all this so I just don't know if anyone can give me some pointers.

My lovely 17 year old son understands I may well not be able to afford to get him a car and is fine with it. However they have both been so brilliant dealing with everything I would love to be able to if I can.

I only have £5000 saved, so it will be very tight for both a vehicle and insurance I know.

Obviously I have tried to do some research but my brain is somewhat fuzzy at the moment so I decided to come on here and hopefully get the usual brilliant advice from people a lot cleverer than me. It's always worked in the past !!

What kind of engine size should I be looking at ? I realise this affects the insurance which needs to be kept as low as possible so I can put more into the vehicle itself. Could anyone recommend an insurance company for new drivers ?

He's 6ft 4 so are there cars which would be too small ? I feel very stupid and ignorant about this so I apologise if I sound like an idiot.

Any advice or hints would be much appreciated.
Tinkers

Re: Advice for first car and insurance for 17 year old

Post by Tinkers »

First of all, you don't sound like an idiot. You obviously have a lot on your plate at the moment.

Roughly, the smaller the engine the cheaper the insurance as they will be a lower insurance group.

This might help with that.
http://www.parkers.co.uk/car-insurance/ ... ce-groups/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If he is tall then it might be worth him trying out a number of cars to see if he fits, although it's not impossible to adjust seats to suit. I know someone 6'10" who drove a classic mini. He had to bolt the seat further back. As a nation we are getting taller so it should be possible with newer cars.

I think some member here have used black box insurance policies to keep thinks cheaper, but I've yet to go through that process.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Previous threads which may assist.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... ce&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... +insurance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry to hear your situation :(

It might be worth looking at a new car - there are some great 0% finance deals around. My DS also found the insurance cheaper than on my car which we planned to pass on to him. He is named as the main driver and my name is also on which pulled the price down.

Go and sit in some cars to test leg room - it is surprising how roomy some city cars are.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Thanks Tinkers - I have Pm d you.

Thanks Quasimodo, those links are very helpful and have definitely given me a starting point and some knowledge of what I should be looking for.

Thank as always G55 - because finances are a little tight to say the least at the moment I think I would be reluctant to take on any more loans etc. My £5000 was always earmarked for a car and of course there was supposed to be another £5000 from the ex.
But yes I think half term would be a good time to take him to physically sit in cars.

I guess what I need to work out is if I can buy a safe and reasonably decent vehicle with what I have got. If not we will have to wait until the divorce is settled and I sell the house which will free up some more money. I just know this will take a long time, probably a year, and hoped I might be able to buy something now. But if I can't Ds completely understands.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Advice I have gleaned: multicar or having you on as well usually lowers insurance. Marmalade is a bolt on type to your insurance but doesn't affect yours if he has the claim - only for learners and you can stop and start it but I don't think they build no claims as they learn.

For tall boys check if steering wheel can be adjusted - fiat 500 are popular first cars but steering wheel only goes up and down not in and out. Might be worth talking to some reputable garages - buying privately would be cheaper but it is sold as seen. Or as Guest suggests, look at the deals available as it might suit you better to spread the cost as well as the fact the running costs should be more reasonable.
timothylewin

Post by timothylewin »

Nissan Cube; ideal for tall drivers. Engine size 1.4cc and therefore cheap insurance. Great practical city car and very low insurance. Of course when you look at the car, it will be the talk of his friends too. Anything Japanese will mean ultra reliability and therefore low maintenance costs given your circumstances. Enjoy, I sold 3 this year already via import side business, proving to be very popular, now freely available in UK.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

PS I think £5k should buy you something very reasonable with insurance. Remember the lower the value the lower the insurance in theory. I am not planning on spending that much at all - remember that lessons are expensive. Whilst you can do additional lessons yourself, it would be wise to go out with an instructor a few times as the test has changed massively this year, and they know th common routes from the test centre!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

timothylewin wrote: Engine size 1.4cc and therefore cheap insurance.
Anything over 1.0 is not sensible for a 17 year old.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Thanks KCG,

The insurance issue is further complicated by the fact I have never had insurance in my own name. My dad had me as a named driver on his policy from 21 when I passed my test, as I had an Audi and it was cheaper that way. Then when I met my husband as he had built up several years of no claims bonus I ended up just a named driver on his policy too. Now 22 years later I have no idea what car insurance will end up costing me when the current one ends in August and I have to pay and have it in my name for the first time ever !

Aarrrrgh - too many things to think about.

Thanks for your advice as well TL. Really appreciate everyone's help.