Scary parents

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dyslexichelpneeded

Re: Scary parents

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

Had a quick look at the link, and there might be some funding, if the situation becomes untenable, possibly even with the Helena Kennedy foundation. Have passed that on and the other ideas, via my DC (who seems to attract a selection of friends with bizarre parents). Unfortunately, the poor girl is expected to have Skype on in the library. This invades everyone else's privacy too....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Surely that can't be allowed on safeguarding grounds ... I'd be livid if my child's privacy was invaded by this girl's parents.

Hope you get some help for her ...
Last edited by Guest55 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Tack with the library. Get one of the Librarians to come over and 'tell her off' for having Skype running in the library, it's against library policy and distracting to other students etc etc.
dyslexichelpneeded

Excellent idea re librarians -though I'm not sure there are many librarians around (especially at night!)
Last edited by dyslexichelpneeded on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Doesn't have to be a real librarian. :wink:
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

The librarian intervention is a good idea, but only solves part of the problem. I would also try to do it officially btw so that if the looper parents phone the college, the story will be corroborated.

There might also be something in this that would help (the librarian? the accommodation owner?) more formally:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 8/1806.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
dyslexichelpneeded

I'll take a look at the link. The problem with external interventions is that she is financially dependent on her parents, and if they didn't like what was happening, they could cut her off without a penny - as they have already demonstrated - in which case she'd probably end up going home without a degree. If she can get through the next couple of years with sanity and friendships intact, and the government doesn't throw out graduating foreign students, then she has a fighting chance of supporting herself and gaining financial independence.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

I was thinking more along the lines of equipping them with legal reasons to cite if necessary explaining that the monitoring is illegal and untenable.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
KB

Post by KB »

She needs to go & see the welfare officer straight away. If that means skipping a lecture so be it. If the situation is as serious as it sounds then she needs some professional advice.

I am quite sure that the university would not allow surveillance cameras in rooms and a member of maintenance staff could quite easily 'come across' it.
As for Skype in the library the same goes-an unnamed student can report this it doesn't even need to be the student herself.

If she has evidence of being in danger when she returns then she could look into asylum options.

If the girl is to scared to walk in to see a welfare officer then your DC could go and see them first, explain the situation and set up an appointment - during meal times if necessary.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

This is all quite worrying and hard for your DD to be involved in. Am guessing that the girl in question comes from a country where maybe she would not expect to have as much freedom as here but that still does not excuse it.
She deffo needs to discuss with a welfare officer - start muttering about adult safeguarding etc etc
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now