Staying and helping others

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JamesDean

Re: Staying and helping others

Post by JamesDean »

I would like to stay and help others in my part of the country, but when posts get constantly jumped on by other more 'worthy' forum members it can be a little off-putting and make me not want to bother any more ...

Sorry if that's a bit negative, but its just another opinion.

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JamesDean wrote:I would like to stay and help others in my part of the country, but when posts get constantly jumped on by other more 'worthy' forum members it can be a little off-putting and make me not want to bother any more ...

JD

+1
Amber

Post by Amber »

JamesDean wrote:I would like to stay and help others in my part of the country, but when posts get constantly jumped on by other more 'worthy' forum members it can be a little off-putting and make me not want to bother any more ...

JD
:oops:
Not sure if I am considered 'worthy' but I have posted on other geographical areas from time to time - it never occurred to me there was a problem with this so apologies if I have transgressed. Maybe if there is a consensus the mods should consider restricting posting access then so that people could only post in their own area?

But would you extend it to, for example, the independent schools section (only those with children in it), GCSEs (those who were in KS3-4) etc?
marigold

Post by marigold »

I don't think James minds about posters moving around the forum but like me, feels a bit itimidated sometimes.
I have very occasionally posted a reply in answer to questions giving information from my own experience and what I believe to be valid comments. This has resulted in comments from " worthy" posters suggesting I am talking a load of old cobblers.
I therefore now restrict myself to commenting on the more frivolous type of thread as if I have bothered to give my opinion, having it poo poo'd, makes me feel I have nothing useful to say.
It is hard enough living in a house full of teenagers who think I know nothing without having what I see as possibly helpful advice knocked by people who know nothing about me.
Despite this, I spend more time than I should nosing around the forum and am proud of my insider knowlegde on grammar school admission policies throughout the country.

Amber , I do not see you as worthy at all, just brilliant.
mad?

Post by mad? »

+1 Marigold,James Dean and Yamin151. With bells on.
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there are some sections of the forum which from time to time get a bit "heated" :roll:

But it would be a dreadful pity to stop people from commenting in sections other than their "own" ... and how would we define it anyway?

Some people seem keen to try out GS exams in a really rather wide range of areas :lol: :oops:

PS happen to think that comments from outside the area can be very helpful - puts a different slant on things sometimes
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Couldn't agree more and absolutely feel that this is not what is meant by the OP, its when your opinion gets slammed and repeatedly dressed down with no allowance for agreeing to disagree. There are certain individuals who seem to make it their sole purpose to do this. We all have differences of opinion, but in the main we tend to put ours in a relatively diplomatic way on the whole. Since I won't fold when bullied I can end up in a more heated discussion, I am my own worst enemy and should just 'walk' away, but I won't be bullied.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - it is sad when a worthy thread gets hijacked isn't it?
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Guest55 wrote:Yes - it is sad when a worthy thread gets hijacked isn't it?
Not hijacking, just offering my opinion on attempting to stay and help others - which once again, I'm clearly not allowed to have ... :(

I'll just bow out ...

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Completely agree JD, Amber, Yamin, marigold - very valid points and a shame about the "worthy" posters you refer to...and Yamin, neither should you feel bullied or intimidated.

Amber, you post fairly infrequently so when you do, I tend to adopt a less is more attitude and always sit up and listen - I may not always agree with you, but I do feel that you listen to what I have to say and have been gracious enough to acknowledge my differing opinion in the past - even if we have ended up agreeing to disagree - so please don't stop!

Like many others I have backed off more recently because of the wearing nature of it all and life getting in the way, however I will continue to try and support my main area and general discussions where I can. But don't ask me for Careers Advice...according to one "worthy" poster, rumour has it I have never actually been one... :shock: